Thread: Taking Ownership

Taking Ownership

Hello so I was having trouble taking ownership of folders/files but I am able to take control of the folder/files now. The problem is I am taking control of the j drive/documents and settings/owner folder. When I take control of the owner folder and go inside to other folders/files I am still getting access denied. Then I have to go to the security tab for that file/folder and go through all the steps to take control and then if there is another folder inside of this folder I have to take control of it also and so on. Shouldn't taking control of the folder that everything is inside of give me permission for all the folders/files inside of it? I am pretty sure I have everything to full control/allow. This is going to take me decades by the time I take control of every folder/file I am also checking Replace owner on subcontainers and objects.

Another thing is I had to use this because I am using xp home and can not get the system to start in safe mode. The problem with starting it in safe mode is that I keep getting
    Input Signal Out of Range
    Change Settings to 1280x1024-60Hz

I have my system set to these settings that it tells me to change them to.

Re: Taking Ownership

To take ownership of a file, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the file that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    2. Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
    3. Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    4. In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, and then click OK.

The administrator or the administrators group now owns the file.

To change the permissions on the file that you now own, follow these steps:

1. Click Add.
    2. In the Enter the object names to select (examples) list, type the user or group account that you want to have access to the file. For example, type Administrator.
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the Group or user names list, click the account that you want, and then select the check boxes of the permissions that you want to assign that user.
    5. When you are finished assigning permissions, click OK.
    6. You can now access the file.

Hope so it may help you out.

If windows won't even run in safe mode, considering the basic environment that it is, you should probably just do a repair install. Put in your windowsXP cd, and boot your computer to it. Choose to setup windows, and then pick the repair install (not repair with recovery console). If you have a branded PC with a recovery disc, or other recovery method, then try using that to restore your PC, if it offers a non-destructive or repair-type reovery option.

Since you are not able to access sub-folders, those sub-folders may be protected. You need to take the ownership of each sub-folder that you want to access -

follow the steps -

> Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    > Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
    > Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    > In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
    You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name.
    Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?
    All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

> Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Quote Originally Posted by deoWo View Post
    Since you are not able to access sub-folders, those sub-folders may be protected. You need to take the ownership of each sub-folder that you want to access -

follow the steps -

> Right-click the folder that you want to take ownership of, and then click Properties.
    > Click the Security tab, and then click OK on the Security message (if one appears).
    > Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.
    > In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group. If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.

Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:
    You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name.
    Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?
    All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

> Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.
    Guess I forgot to mention that after checking the box to replace owner on subcontainers and objects and clicking ok I am not getting the message

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

I am also using this http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_home_sectab.htm because I can not get into safe mode to access the security tab.

Yogesh Guest

Please note:
    Thread moved from Hardware Peripherals to Operating Systems.