Thread: Two windows XP boot problem

idea Two windows XP boot problem

I have a Lan Party UT nF4 Ultra-D motherboard, and recently my computer has been kind of freezing before it gets to loading the Windows loading screen. I have 2 Windows XP's installed on different partitions if that helps anyone. Also I'm not the smartest person at computers, but my brother tried restarting the CMOS and nothing changed. Recently though, after I click start windows normally the little black and white bars pop up down the bottom and start loading VERY slowly, and once they finish, it just goes to the empty screen. I also set the BIOS settings on default just incase it was changed somehow, but no success.

Dr. V Guest

Re: Two windows XP boot problem

Does your PC boot in Safe Mode?

No! It dosen't boot in safe mode.....!

Dr. V Guest

I'm guessing this is a dual boot machine. Will neither of your XP partitions boot? Did you change anything before these events started occurring? Can you test your Memory using Memtest or Windiag?

yes it is a duel boot however one of the windows is corrupt and hasnt booted from a long time ago, thios problem occurred suddenly and i dont recall anything being changed to the system, as in no installs or changing of system settings of any kind.

Dr. V Guest

It's starting to sound like a hardware problem but software cant be ruled out. If you can, see if a friend will let you download and burn a copy of Knopix or another 'live' cd and try booting from this. While you've got his PC at your disposal, get a hold of memtest. It might also help if you unplug all no-essential hardware and try a re-boot. You should only be left with your cpu, graphics card, memory and HD installed.

Dr. V Guest

My friend recently having same problem

Follow the following steps may help you....!

- a CHKDSK /R from the recovery console fixed it right up - YMMV, but this is always an option Also, most hard disk manufacturers have utilities that check the health and attempt to repair what it can on a drive. Worth checking out.

Whats a CHKDSK /R, and how do I get to the utilities that check the health and atempt to repair what it can on my drive?

Dr. V Guest

Normally you would have to open a dos box (command prompt) once in XP but since you can't get XP running you would have to go to the repair console via your XP set up disk. Once into the Repair console, it's a simple case of typing in CHKDSK /R. This will analyse your hard disk for errors and repair any that it finds. If your still having problems get back to us.

Ok, I'm doing the CHKDSK /R thing right now, i'll get back to you guys when its finished.......!

I finished the CHKDSK, but nothings changed. All it said was how much bytes I had allocated on this disk, and how much was free, and it didn't say there was any errors or anything. Any other suggestions?

Dr. V Guest

How about what I suggested earlier? Is it go/nogo?

Dr. V Guest

Try doing one thing .....!
    Attach your harddisk to other computer & backup your data.
    Then format your harddisk...... & Reinstall Windows.....!