Thread: Cannot use EXE files on other partitions or drives

Cannot use EXE files on other partitions or drives

hi,
    i recently install windows xp sp2.it works fine but the problem is it gives an error message "Windows Cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to acces the item." when i try to access my .exe file which are in D drive on Seagate 160GB USB2.0 External Hard Drive external hard drive.
    Does anyone know what causes this issue and how to fix it? Any help will be extremely appreciated.

Re: Cannot use EXE files on other partitions or drives

hi,
    it sound like the NTFS permissions for your account has been changed . SAM stands for security accounts manager and is responsible for storing your user accounts password, and I think permissions as well. Lsass.exe is responsible for providing your account with the proper security token when you logon. Some viruses will infect either of the files so you basically can't do anything with your computer. If you can install an anti-virus program please run it. Otherwise your best bet in this situation would either be to restore, or try and recover the registry through Windows System Restore or other advanced methods.

If you are getting the same error, and you are not using a Windows Server, then if might be a permissions issue. Best practice is to give the share permission of Full control to Everyone, then limit the sub-folder access with more secure permissions.

This error message may be seen on Windows XP SP2 systems with certain security restrictions in place. This is normally due to a flag placed on the file as a result of being moved from another computer or network.

Right click on the executable and choose 'Properties' and look to the bottom of the 'General' tab. Here you should find an 'Unblock' button provided to allow normal access to the executable.