Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



dual boot ubuntu and windows 7

Operating Systems


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 18-03-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 449
dual boot ubuntu and windows 7
  

Hello,
I am currently running Ubuntu 8.04 and I installed the beta of Windows 7 in dual-boot. Is this feasible? Thank you

__________________
Determined and Forceful
Emotional and Intuitive
Powerful and Passionate
Exciting and Magnetic
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 18-03-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,451
Re: dual boot ubuntu and windows 7

Yes you can dual boot Ubuntu linux with Windows 7, refer to this tips: How To Triple Boot MAC OS X, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 8.10 Linux
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 18-03-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 459
Re: dual boot ubuntu and windows 7

“How to” Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 (Ubuntu installed first)

Here's the solution.
1. Obtain a copy of Windows7.
2. Partition your disk with gparted.
3. Install Windows7.
4. Re-install Grub.
5. Edit Grub to List Windows 7.
6. Have Fun.

1. Obtain a copy of windows 7.

Official Microsoft Link - http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...FRE_EN_DVD.iso

*You can also find a torrent of this but for legal reasons I cannot provide a link. *


2. Partition your disk

**This does go wrong in very few circumstances**

Boot from a Ubuntu live cd or a gparted live cd.
Start up gparted, If ubuntu is on the whole disk you need to re-size it by at least 8 gb for Windows 7. (Make sure windows 7 is on the second partition to make it easier for grub) You will be left with some unallocated space on your hard disk if you want you can partition it to NTFS or you can do it later on the windows install.

3. Install Windows 7

Follow the on screen instructions, Select the un-partitioned space to format and install windows on, or if you already made it NTFS choose your NTFS partition.

**It will ask for a product key but you have 30 days to do that.**


4. Re-install GRUB

Now you have windows 7 but it has completely eaten your boot loader so you need to re-install grub.
Boot from the ubuntu live cd and go to terminal.
Type in terminal:

"sudo grub"
"grub> find /boot/grub/stage1"

That should return your Ubuntu partition in the form of (hdX,Y), use that:

grub> root (hdX,Y)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

(you don’t need to type the grub> bit)

That has re-installed grub but you can no longer see windows7

5. Edit grub.
Go to terminal from normal ubuntu and type :

“sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst”

A large text file will open and at the bottom leave a line and add this:

title windows 7 beta (Loader)
root (hd0,1)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

(Do not type this line but if that does not work on re-boot try “hdo,0 or hd0,2” and so on until it works.)

Now that is done you can re-boot into windows 7 and ubuntu happily.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-10-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 38
Re: dual boot ubuntu and windows 7

Help! I was running Ubuntu and Vista Ultimate dual loading and instead of clean installing Win 7 Ultimate over Vista I did a straight upgrade. Lost the Ubuntu boot of course but usd the live Cd to edit grub and get it back... but was horrified to discover the dual boot had gone back to Ubuntu/Vista, not Ubuntu/Win 7!! So now Win 7 isn't accessible and I've tried everything I've seen on these forums to edit the grub in ubuntu proper (not live disc), eg:

title windows 7 (loader)
root (hd0,2) [2 is where my C: drive's at but I've tried different numbers]
save default
make active
chainloader +1 [even tried +4 like some guy said, and leaving this bit out altogether]

Probably easily solved, but my knowledge of linux/grub is still scant. Help, anyone?!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-10-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 38
Re: dual boot ubuntu and windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitesh mehta View Post
“How to” Dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 (Ubuntu installed first)

Here's the solution.
1. Obtain a copy of Windows7.
2. Partition your disk with gparted.
3. Install Windows7.
4. Re-install Grub.
5. Edit Grub to List Windows 7.
6. Have Fun.

1. Obtain a copy of windows 7.

Official Microsoft Link - http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...FRE_EN_DVD.iso

*You can also find a torrent of this but for legal reasons I cannot provide a link. *


2. Partition your disk

**This does go wrong in very few circumstances**

Boot from a Ubuntu live cd or a gparted live cd.
Start up gparted, If ubuntu is on the whole disk you need to re-size it by at least 8 gb for Windows 7. (Make sure windows 7 is on the second partition to make it easier for grub) You will be left with some unallocated space on your hard disk if you want you can partition it to NTFS or you can do it later on the windows install.

3. Install Windows 7

Follow the on screen instructions, Select the un-partitioned space to format and install windows on, or if you already made it NTFS choose your NTFS partition.

**It will ask for a product key but you have 30 days to do that.**


4. Re-install GRUB

Now you have windows 7 but it has completely eaten your boot loader so you need to re-install grub.
Boot from the ubuntu live cd and go to terminal.
Type in terminal:

"sudo grub"
"grub> find /boot/grub/stage1"

That should return your Ubuntu partition in the form of (hdX,Y), use that:

grub> root (hdX,Y)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

(you don’t need to type the grub> bit)

That has re-installed grub but you can no longer see windows7

5. Edit grub.
Go to terminal from normal ubuntu and type :

“sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst”

A large text file will open and at the bottom leave a line and add this:

title windows 7 beta (Loader)
root (hd0,1)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

(Do not type this line but if that does not work on re-boot try “hdo,0 or hd0,2” and so on until it works.)

Now that is done you can re-boot into windows 7 and ubuntu happily.
You seem v knowledgeable.. can you help?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-10-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,738
Re: dual boot ubuntu and windows 7

Use the Windows 7 DVD and format Windows Vista partition and install Windows 7 to it. Formatting is essential else, Vista will stay there even if you install the OS in the same partition. After installing windows 7 do the same thing you did before, that is to setup grub on the first disk's MBR using Live CD. All the best!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-10-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 38
Re: dual boot ubuntu and windows 7

The point is, unlike almost everyone else, I did the upgrade from Vista to Win 7, wher all the settings, files and programs are kept intact but OS is ugraded. Much easier and quicker. Was working fine until I tried to get Ubuntu back (successfully). So Win 7 IS what's formatted on my C: drive, and I've just worked out how to edit the grub so that Win 7 appears in place of Vista now. But the problem is still occurring: when I boot Win 7, the old Vista loading screen comes up (never did when I first upgraded), and then it flashes some weird test-pattern-like thing across the screen before finally Win 7 appears. Ie Win 7 DOES boot, but not everytime, and something's not right with the loading sequence. I've tried using the Win 7 DVD to fix boot but it doesn't. Next I'll try running Win 7 DVD from inside Win 7 and see if it'll repair install. Other ideas?? Cheers
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-10-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 38
Re: dual boot ubuntu and windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptolomy_was_right View Post
The point is, unlike almost everyone else, I did the upgrade from Vista to Win 7, wher all the settings, files and programs are kept intact but OS is ugraded. Much easier and quicker. Was working fine until I tried to get Ubuntu back (successfully). So Win 7 IS what's formatted on my C: drive, and I've just worked out how to edit the grub so that Win 7 appears in place of Vista now. But the problem is still occurring: when I boot Win 7, the old Vista loading screen comes up (never did when I first upgraded), and then it flashes some weird test-pattern-like thing across the screen before finally Win 7 appears. Ie Win 7 DOES boot, but not everytime, and something's not right with the loading sequence. I've tried using the Win 7 DVD to fix boot but it doesn't. Next I'll try running Win 7 DVD from inside Win 7 and see if it'll repair install. Other ideas?? Cheers
Right - done that successfully, Win 7 now back on the road with repair installation (well more like reuprade installation)... Now gotta get my Linux boot back WITHOUT demoting Win 7 loader back to Vista this time. Easiest way?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-10-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 38
Re: dual boot ubuntu and windows 7

OK! Worked this time using the instructions given at the start of this thread. Cheers my friends!!

Hmmm... now what was that smeone told me about Mac OS booting on PC... triple boot with Leopard... dare I??? Does it work (Leopard on VAIO with Intel chip and motherboard; and is the triple boot possible?!)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-10-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,738
Re: dual boot ubuntu and windows 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptolomy_was_right View Post
OK! Worked this time using the instructions given at the start of this thread. Cheers my friends!!

Hmmm... now what was that smeone told me about Mac OS booting on PC... triple boot with Leopard... dare I??? Does it work (Leopard on VAIO with Intel chip and motherboard; and is the triple boot possible?!)
May be, you might need to refer this guide of mine for the same : How To Triple Boot MAC OS X, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 8.10 Linux. Read the last post if you don't want to loose data...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-10-2009
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 38
Re: dual boot ubuntu and windows 7

Thanks for the info dude
Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , ,



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "dual boot ubuntu and windows 7"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I dual boot windows and Ubuntu along with EFI and SSD Lhamu Operating Systems 6 05-02-2011 07:21 PM
Dual boot issues with windows & Ubuntu Doshi1 Operating Systems 4 25-04-2010 03:31 AM
Dual Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.04 without bootloader Patinux Operating Systems 3 01-09-2009 12:18 AM
Windows & over Ubuntu for dual boot? X-Man Operating Systems 3 17-03-2009 03:03 PM
How to dual boot Windows XP with Ubuntu already installed Terrextre Operating Systems 2 03-11-2008 05:20 PM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:05 AM.