Thread: Installed Windows 7 to dual boot with XP but now cant log into XP - HELP :(

Installed Windows 7 to dual boot with XP but now cant log into XP - HELP :(

Hi, I've been trying to fix this issue for at least 7 straight hours and I really need help, here's the story.

I was currently running Windows XP and decided to try Windows 7. Both OS's are on the same hard drive but on 2 seperate partitions. I installed Win7 but had issues during the install, I had dual screens going and only my tv screen was showing anything after install and my monitor nothing so said screw it just reinstall. Reinstalled, while browsing Win7's features I decided I would learn the new OS slowly a few hours a day but use XP for my main use, well I reboot and I have no dual boot option, it just goes striaght to Win7. In earlier versions of windows it was easy to modify boot.ini where you can add or delete either with notepad or msconfig but with Win7 I am unable to do so. I looked up some info on bcdedit command line and from others tutorials I found it hard to follow exactly what I needed to do. I downloaded EasyBCD which is a GUI version and I played around with some of the features trying to add my other boot OS but having no luck. This is used for Vista which I think would be same as Win7, there's an option to "Uninstall the Vista Bootloader (use to restore XP)". I tried this and rebooted, I had an error saying missing NTLDR, so I had to do a repair on Win7 to get into the OS and I copied the NTLDR and NTDETECT from XP's install CD to I:\ my XP drive and did the same thing with EasyBCD, it bring up a dual boot option on restart showing Windows 7 and "Windows Installation" which I believe would be the added selection I put in EasyBCD but even with NTLDR it just restarts my computer when I select the second boot but it will boot to Win7. I also tried running a repair using XP's install disk by press "R" and it brings me to command prompt with 2 entries and when i select 1 or the other it just gives an error message.

To give a good description for those willing to help Windows 7 is on drive C:\ my XP install is on drive I:\ just so you can refer to those drive letters when replying. I was able to find my boot.ini for XP which contains:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

And my msconfig boot info for Win7 says:
    Windows 7 (C:\Windows) : Current OS; Default OS

I tried to make this as detailed as possible I would very much appreciate any advice helping me to fix this issue.

Thank you.

Re: Installed Windows 7 to dual boot with XP but now cant log into XP - HELP :(

First of all, you hav to restore Windows XP bootloader.
    Boot from XP disc and proceed to Recovery Console n execute the following commands one by one.

fixmbr

fixboot

bootcfg /rebuild

The bootcfg scan HDD for valid Windows XP installations and prompts for Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All). Press Y n hit enter.

The next prompt asks you to Enter Load Identifier.

This is the name of the operating system. For example, type Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition and press Enter.

The final prompt asks you to Enter OS Load options.

Type /Fastdetect here and press Enter.
    After this, Windows XP should now start normally

Now boot with Windows 7’s DVD and choose Regional Settings and click on Next.

Choose Repair your Computer, it automatically detect Windows 7’s partition and repair all kind of problem that cause unable to boot in 7 by clicking on Repair button OR then choose Startup Repair option.

Restart your computer to boot in Windows 7 and run CMD as Administrator and execute the following commands one by one to add boot manager entries of Windows XP in boot menu.

bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d “Earlier version of Windows”

bcdedit /set {ntldr} device boot

bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

Hey there!
    I have a temporary solution for you... You will need a pen drive. Do the following after you boot in windows 7 :

• Format the USB drive as Fat32
    • Within Windows Explorer go to Tools > Folder Options. Within the View tab, choose “Show hidden files” and uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”.
    • Open up the Windows Partition (usually C: ), copy boot.ini, NTLDR and ntdetect.com onto your USB drive.
    • Change and configure your motherboard to boot from USB [first boot device]

It seems you have lost Windows XP boot loader... and probably you formatted C drive while installing Windows 7.

First of all, you have to restore Windows XP bootloader.

I had the same problem with my duel boot and having lost my XP boot option and Devasis came through for me. I followed your details and my problem is now fixed thank you so much!!! You are the man!!!