Thread: How do i use Windows Registry in Vista

idea How do i use Windows Registry in Vista

Hello Friends,

I'm running Windows Vista as my operating system. I would like to know that how do i use Windows registry on my Windows Vista. Does any one knows how can i do so? Any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: How do i use Windows Registry in Vista

The registry in 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Vista is divided into 32-bit and 64-bit keys. Many of the 32-bit keys have the same names as their 64-bit counterparts, and vice versa. The default 64-bit version of Registry Editor that is included with 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Vista displays the 32-bit keys under the following node:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\WOW6432Node

The Registry consists of the following 5 Root Keys:

• HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    • HKEY_USERS
    • HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG.

Root Keys contain SubKeys. Subkeys, may contain subkeys of their own too, and contain at least one value, called as its Default Value. A key with all its subkeys and values is called as a Hive.
    The Registry is stored on the Disk as several separate Hive files. These Hive files are then read into memory every time Vista starts or when the User logs on. To see where the Hives are physically stored, see:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\HiveLis

The Registry editor doesn't have a Start menu item. The easiest way to run it is to type regedit into the Search field on the Start menu. When regedit appears in the results pane under Programs, take one of the following actions, depending on your needs:

• If you are logged on as an Administrator, press Enter or click regedit. When the User Account Control dialog box appears, click Continue. The Registry editor will run with full elevated privileges.
    • If you are not logged on as an Administrator but need to change settings in only the HKEY_CURRENT_USER section of the Registry, press Enter or click regedit. The Registry editor will run with reduced privileges, and you will not be able to change systemwide settings.
    • If you are not logged on as an Administrator but need to change systemwide settings in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, right-click regedit and select Run as Administrator. Enter an Administrator account's username and password. The Registry editor will then run with full elevated privileges.