Thread: Any hardware lock for my Windows?

Any hardware lock for my Windows?

Hey guys!
    I have a computer which i share with my room mate... He use ubuntu and claims not touching Windows Partition at all... But i guess he is spying on my data which i don't feel right! Hes a computer geek and can crack my windows password... I disconnect the hard disk physically when i am not around but as he's an expert he can figure it out easily. Is there any hardware lock or a possibility that only with the key with me and without it my windows won't boot? Help guys!

Re: Any hardware lock for my Windows?

Hey!
    No matter what you do, windows partitions are visible in linux but linux partitions are not visible in windows... You can do one thing, take the hard disk which has windows along with you... or stop sharing the computer...!
    All the best!

Hey!
    I don't know how to do but i've heard you can use a CD or a Floppy that will boot the hard disk on which the OS is installed, just like a key to a lock... Google up a while and you will find some solution...!
    All the best mate!

This can be achieved by using a regular USB/pen/thumb drive (whatever you call it). Basically configure your system to boot windows from USB stick. The hack would be more than enough to keep even your curious friend from booting into the system. That said, it is by no means fullproof which security measure is? so you might not want depend on it. A key requirement for the hack to work is that your system should support booting from a USB device. This can be verified from within the BIOS menu. So if you have an older system that doesn’t support booting from USB devices, this one is not for you. Else Read On :
    • Format the USB drive.
    • Within Windows Explorer go to Tools > Folder Options. Within the View tab, choose “Show hidden files” and uncheck “Hide protected operating system files”.
    • Open up the Windows Partition (usually C: ), copy boot.ini, NTLDR and ntdetect.com onto your USB drive.
    • Change and configure your motherboard to boot from USB [first boot device]

All the best!