Thread: Uninstall Microsoft Excel 97 from Windows Vista

Uninstall Microsoft Excel 97 from Windows Vista

I read online after installing Excel 97 on Windows Vista that it is not compatible. Now I can't uninstall it. It freezes everytime (not responding) when I try. I want to remove this program. Please let me know how. Thanks.

Re: Uninstall Microsoft Excel 97 from Windows Vista

have a look at this similar thread http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/920370.htm , hope this will help ..good luck
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"

There is a removal tool link on the below article.

OFF97: How to Completely Remove Microsoft Office 97
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/158658/en-us

Try to uninstall in from the safe mode. Is by far the safest method; it is something I regularly recommend when people are having problems uninstalling software.

while IDC had indicated that the launch of Windows Server 2008
    served as a catalyst for the ..... "How to Clean Install Windows Vista with
    Upgrade Media". .... Does Windows Vista include Microsoft Excel and Microsoft
    Word? ...

When installing any operating system it is best to disconnect non-essential peripherals such as printer/scanners and external hard drives. Try using the method given below and when you have successfully installed Windows you can then plug in your peripherals one at a time. Don't rush to activate - you have upto 30 days to do so. This should give you sufficient time to ensure that your system is working as it should.

Clean Install

Use Vista's 'upgrade' version to clean-install.

Please remember to DISCONNECT from the internet for this whole procedure.You may reconnect at the end of the procedure when you have completed both installations i.e. when you have completed Step 10.

Please note that you may be required to provide storage adapter drivers for this procedure. These can be on floppy, cd or USB flash drives.

Step 1. Boot the PC from the Vista DVD.

Step 2. Select 'Install Now', but do not enter the Product Key from theVista packaging. Leave the input box blank. Also, turn off the option' Automatically activate Windows when I'm online'. In the next dialog box thatappears, confirm that you really do want to install Vista without entering a
    Product Key.

Step 3. Correctly indicate the version of Vista being installed i.e. HomePremium.

Step 4. Select the 'Custom (Advanced)' install, not the 'Upgrade' install.

Step 5. Vista copies files at length and reboots itself one or more times.Wait for the install to complete. At this point, you might think you could' activate' Vista, but you can't. That's because you haven't installed the
    Vista upgrade yet. To do that, run the DVD's 'setup.exe' program again, but this time from the Vista desktop. The easiest way to start setup again is to eject and then reinsert the DVD.

Step 6. Click 'Install Now'. Select 'Do not get the latest updates for installation'. (You can check for these updates later.)

Step 7. This time, do enter the Product Key from the Vista packaging. Once again, turn off the option 'Automatically activate Windows when I'm online'.

Step 8. On this second install, make sure to select 'Upgrade', not 'Custom (Advanced)'. You're not doing a clean install now, you're upgrading to Vista.

Step 9. Wait while Vista copies files and reboots itself. No user interaction is required. Do not boot from the DVD when asked if you'd like to do so. Instead, wait a few seconds and the setup process will continue on its way. Some DOS-like character-mode menus will appear, but don't interact with them. After a few seconds, the correct choice will run for you automatically.

Step 10. After you click a button labeled 'Start' in the 'Thank You' dialog box, Vista's login screen will eventually appear. Enter the username and password that you selected during the first install. You're done upgrading to
    Vista.

Step 11. If any device(s) or device driver(s) need installing, then this is the time to do it.

Step 12. If any further user accounts need creating, then they may be
    created now.

Step 13. Within 30 days, you must 'activate' your copy of Vista or it'll lose functionality. To activate Vista, click 'Show more details' in the Welcome Center that automatically displays on each boot-up, then click'Activate Windows now'. If you've dismissed the Welcome Center, access the correct dialog box by clicking Start, Control Panel, System & Maintenance,
    System.

Since you are not able to uninstall Microsoft Excel 97 from Windows Vista, I have got one option or a trick to deal with it. You can try download and installing Microsoft Excel 2003 in your Windows Vista. If Excel 2003 is compatible with Vista, then it would replace Excel 97 while installing (automatically uninstalling excel 97)......good luck