Thread: Windows Xp Activation Error

ohmy Windows Xp Activation Error

Hey Guys,

Recently by mistake i had bought some bad software, which had damaged one of my critical files. I'm running dual boot system on my pc and always used to take back up of my critical files. I'm trying to install a new coy of Windows Xp on my system, but the problem is that whenever i try to log in to Windows, the moment i type my password in and hit enter it brings up the activation window ("Do you want to activate Windows now"). If i choose any option on it, it just takes right back to the login screen and i'm unable to get to my desktop screen. Does any one have any idea why i'm facing such problem on my pc? Can any one help me out to get rid of this problem? Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Windows Xp Activation Error

This problem occurs because a script or its associated files such as reset5.exe, reset5.dll, reset5.dat, reset5.dt*, reset5.bat, resetserver, resetpath, srvany.exe and etc that interferes with Windows activation is running on the computer.

Follow these steps to make it happen:

1. Double-click My Computer
    2. Double-click on the "C" drive
    3. Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder (you may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder")
    4. Find the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" and copy them to a safe location. You can copy them on a floppy drive or burn it onto a CD or DVD.
    5. After you have reinstalled Windows XP on your reformatted hard drive, click "No" when asked if you want to go ahead and go through the activation process
    6. Reboot your computer into SafeMode (you can either press F8 as Windows is booting up to see the Windows Advanced Options menu and select SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal or follow the instructions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode
    7. Double-click My Computer
    8. Double-click on the "C" drive
    9. Go to the C:\Windows\System32 folder (you may have to click on the link that says "Show The contents of this folder")
    10. Find the file "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" (if it exists) and rename them to "wpadbl.new" and "wpabak.new"
    11. Copy your original "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak" files from your floppy disk, CD or DVD into the C:\Windows\System32 folder
    12. Restart your system (if you followed the directions in Starting Windows XP in SafeMode you may need to go back into MSCONFIG to turn off booting into SafeMode)

They key is generated by a computer at Microsoft, as a result of a "hardware hash," a long sequence of numbers based on a information found in your computer's hardware. The specific devices used are as follows:

1. Display adapter
    2. SCSI adapter (if found)
    3. IDE adapter
    4. Network adapter MAC address (if available)
    5. RAM amount range
    6. Processor type
    7. Processor serial number
    8. Hard drive
    9. Hard drive volume serial number
    10. CD-ROM, CD-RW, or DVD-ROM

This ensures that one person's key will not work on another system.

Go to My Computer then select your Hard Drive (usually drive C). Go to the WINDOWS\system32 folder and scroll way down until you find the wpa.dbl file.

Right-click and choose "Send To" then either Floppy Drive (make sure you have a disk in) or CD-R/RW.

Now, when you reinstall Windows XP you'll come to the activation screen—decline to activate and let the install finish.

Restart your computer in Safe Mode (keep hitting F8 at start-up then when the Advanced Boot Options menu appears arrow down to Safe Mode).

Find your way back to the WINDOWS\system32 folder. It's a good idea to rename the wpa.dbl file you're replacing just in case you run into problems, so call it something like "wpa.nothing".

Get the backup disk and copy the old wpa.dbl file back to the WINDOWS\system32 folder and reboot your system.