Thread: Windows Vista Home Premium - won't boot up

Windows Vista Home Premium - won't boot up

Hi guys - my Windows Vista Home Premium has suddenly stopped working. When I try to boot the system, I get a black screen that asks me to select which operating system I want to use. The only option I have is Windows Vista - since that's the only operating system I have. When I choose Windows Vista - the system loops right back to this black screen and I get nowhere. I cannot boot in Safe Mode, either - the system gets hung up when loading the files. Can anyone tell me how I can fix this problem?
    Thanks so much - Joy

Re: Windows Vista Home Premium - won't boot up

Hi,

The problem should be caused by Windows Vista system files are corrupted. I suggest you take a Repair to troubleshoot the problem.

Please ensure that the DVD-ROM is the first booting device.

1. Insert the Windows Vista Home Premium DVD and reboot the computer.
    2. When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.
    3. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Hope it helps.

Windows Vista Home Premium - won't boot up

Thank you very much for your help; I will let you know how I do.

Hello ,Try to perform a check disk by using the recovery console, you will need the installation media (Windows Vista dvdD): Try to run the chkdsk /r from the Recovery console mode

Hello , Try totally shutting off the power by switching off the power bar or unplugging the power cord from the back of the computer. Leave it for 5 minutes then power it up again.When a computer is shutdown but the main power is still live there is still some standby power being passed to the motherboard. Therefore some of the motherboard components will have an electronic charge present and this can cause the problem you have described. By totally disconnecting the power for 5 minutes the motherboard will discharge completely, thereby clearingthe problem. Another possbile cause of this type of problem is a USB device, such as an external USB hard drive or a USB memory stick being left connected when the computer is powered up. Somehow the boot device sequence can get corrupted by this presence and the computer tries to boot from the USB device and fails. Unplug any USB hard drives and/or USB memory sticks and see if that resolves the issue.