Thread: Macbook does not boot after installing RAM

Macbook does not boot after installing RAM

Hi,

I have a macbook with Intel Core Duo 2.2GHz CPU and 1GB of ram, the white boy. I think it is the third generation, I do not know xD.

Well, I bought two modules of 2gb ram SO DIMM DDR2 667 MHz 200 pins, which are perfect to come I am told. But when I went to mount, the macbook will not start. The screen went black and the white light from the bottom corner. I was in several post here, some users had a similar problem. And what they recommended was reset the PRAM and PMU. And so I did. But did not solve anything. I have been trying for if they were poorly placed modules, but nothing. Nor let me run the Apple Hardware Test ..

Then I tried with a module that I brought the macbook and the new. And I recognized the mac 2gb module, said it that I have 2.5Gb of ram in total. I tried the two new modules and the mac and I recognize. The Apple Hardware Test detects no problem. We also tried putting a single 2gb module, but then again the black screen. In contrast, only one module of 512 mb, it starts up.

I am a bit desperate, because I use both Mac and fairly with 1 GB of RAM I was very short and can not understand that I am not going to run the new ram. See if you can help me please ...

Thanks in advance.

Re: Macbook does not boot after installing RAM

Hi,

The RAM could be simply bad. Do you have another computer you can try it in? If it works there, you know something is funky on the MB. Otherwise, try swapping which socket you're installing it into. Also try reinstalling the original RAM just to make sure you've got the install down. Sounds like you're doing it right, but when you're down to troubleshooting you need to work on pinpointing where is the exact problem.

Re: Macbook does not boot after installing RAM

I have reinstalled them in every configuration and when they are in individually I have them installed all the way because the computer recognizes it. I have pushed them in as hard as I feel comfortable. I have tried every configuration and the only variable that seems to cause it not to work is 2 RAM cards being installed in there and therefore taking the amount of RAM over 2GB.

Is there anything else that could be causing this problem? Have others installed more than 2GB in the 2.16 ghz MacBook Pro? Is the 2GB limit a "hard" limit?

Thanks again for your help!