Thread: Ethernet works in Ubuntu but not in Fedora 11 alpha

Ethernet works in Ubuntu but not in Fedora 11 alpha

Hi Guys!
    I have fedora core 11 alpha. When i boot & detect my eth0 (LAN) & eth1 (ADSL) it does it, but after sometime it say fail on both device. what i do. If i go network manager its show both device and when i enable it manually it say intialization failed. i'm screwed! Please help! Its not an hardware issue as everything works fine with Ubuntu 8.10...

Re: Ethernet works in Ubuntu but not in Fedora 11 alpha

Hey there!
    As fedora 11 alpha, is still under testing and not a stable version, this might be a bug which brings down the network services like ethernet and adsl... Try to install a stable OS if you want a total bug free experience...
    All the best!

lspci (a command) should list a line that describes your network interface, among just about all the other hardware you've got. If it doesn't, you know the hardware is bad. /etc/modprobe.conf (a file) should list a kernel module for your NIC that get loaded when the network starts. It probably aliases the interface to eth0.

"ifconfig -a" (a command) should list info about all the interfaces that are up.
    "ifconfig eth0" should list info about eth0 even if it's down. /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 (a file) contains info about how to configure eth0 when it comes up (like static vs. dhcp) and if it should be brought up by default. ifup and ifdown (commands) manually bring up and take down an interface. ifup invokes dhclient (a command) to get dhcp info. You can use it manually if you have to to test dhcp.

Hey there!
    Thank you for the suggestions. All is well now. As soon as I looked at the ifconfig output, I knew things looked suspecious because there wasn't a 'inet addr' in the output. I used the Fedora Core 11's built-in program to create a new network connection and evertything was fine.