Thread: Convert Command Does not Work under Vista

Convert Command Does not Work under Vista

Hello , I want Convert My External from FAT to NTFS. I work under the Admin user and after entering the Following Command

convert f: / fs: ntfs

I got this Error Message:

Access denied, you do not have sufficient permissions. You must use this program with elevated privileges.

My questions:

1. What are there Elavated or "increased" rights? I always thought the admin would have the highest rights.
    2 .How can we Change the Format of Disk? Has someone an idea for me?

So Guys please Help me Solve these Problem Thanks in Advance for your replies.

Re: Convert Command Does not Work under Vista

hello , if you are Trying to convert the partition that is currently in use, you will not be able to convert and you can schedule the task when you restart the computer. This may be the scenario if you are trying to the convert the partition where your Windows is located.

Well PLease Check the Steps i m telling you ti verify ?What you are doing is Correct or not All you have to do is to take advantage of the command line Convert utility. Click on the Start sphere, and then in the Start Menu search box simply enter “cmd” and hit enter. Once you have decided which partition to switch from FAT32 to NTFS then write “convert : /fs:ntfs”. For example, if I were to convert E:/ from Fat32 to NTFS then I would simply enter “convert e: /fs:ntfs.” Additionally, there is the old handy “convert /?” command that will bring up information on how to manage the conversion. As long as the disk that you want to convert is not in use, you’ll be fine. Otherwise, the conversion must be postponed for the next time you reboot. On Windows Vista start up, you will be prompted to either cancel or carry on with the conversion. The process is fully automated and it involves a couple of restarts. Just let Windows Vista do the work.

Hello, You must enter the console, right click and click then click on Run As Admin. Then you can enter the command. (In the context menu at right) . after that You can Run your command prompt as admin and use convert E: /fs:ntfs E: being the drive you want to convert to ntfs Hope it Will Work for you