Thread: Windows desktop no longer on the screen

Windows desktop no longer on the screen

Hello,
    2 days ago when I rebooted, I got a blue screen with error messages nv4_mini.sys.
    So I re-installed the driver for my 7600 GS. It worked.
    But when I rebooted: problem: my Windows desktop was no longer on my screen. I have to move my mouse to see my desktop.
    I again reinstalled the drivers ....
    It works, but when I restart: same problem with my desktop (but no error message).
    HELP!
    Thank you in advance

Re: Windows desktop no longer on the screen

edit:
    my HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\' 'NoActiveDesktop' IS 0

There is also a button in the Global Preferences tab of NextSTART to enable/disable Active Desktop.

The problem is that Active Desktop can sometimes conflict with some of the things NextSTART (and other shell customization software) does.

How do get the taskbar and desktop back if Explorer crashes

From time to time, Explorer (the application responsible for the taskbar, desktop, and Start Menu) will crash, and the taskbar and all your desktop icons will disappear. Now, there’s a built-in safeguard for this that relaunches Explorer automatically if such a crash is detected, but it doesn’t always work as it’s designed. For example, if you have a separate Windows Explorer window open and the Launch folder windows in a separate process option (in Control Panel -> Folder Options -> View tab) is enabled, and the taskbar disappears, Windows will mistakenly open another Windows Explorer window instead of reinstating your taskbar and desktop. Here's how to get your taskbar and desktop back:

• Close all visible Windows Explorer windows. Other running applications can be left alone.
    • Press Ctrl-Alt-Del, and then click Task Manager.
    • In the Windows Task Manager application that appears, select New Task (Run) from the File menu.
    • Type Explorer and click Ok.

Additionally, there is a virus that can cause this and leave your machine without the ability to perform the above procedure.

So here's information about that malware, its removal, and the follow-up repair to restore your Desktop.

http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml