Thread: Cannot Find MS Config

Cannot Find MS Config

I am going through a strange query.

My computer have lost msconfig file, I am not able to access it, not through the "run" command or from anywhere else as one can possible think of. I have also tried for a "repiar", but no solution from it. Any suggestions?

Please post some views regarding this

Re: Cannot Find MS Config

That's certainly possible. Scan in the Windows Safe Mode (press F8 several times just as Windows is about to start and select it from the resulting menu). Windows XP and Me System Restore should be disabled. See Windows Help on disabling it. Reenable and set a restore point after scanning, if desired.

Also dont forget to empty your PreFetch folder, some nasty viruses use it as a little nest, and alot of the times a virus scanner will say this.

"Virus found windows/prefetch/ yada yada, unable to restore, archive file infected."

Just simply empty the prefetch and whala! No more problem. Upon reboot all the files that need to be in prefetch will be reloaded in there so dont worry bout it.

I had a mysterious reinstalling virus which turned out to be in my prefetch so I always like to tell folks to always empty it just to make sure.

The msconfig.exe file should be located in your C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries folder. download the msconfig.exe Windows XP version file and place it in the C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries folder.

Copy the bold text below to notepad. Save it as fixME.reg to your desktop. Be sure the "Save as" type is set to "all files" Once you have saved it double click it and allow it to merge with the registry.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\MSCONFIG.EXE]
    @="C:\\WINDOWS\\PCHealth\\helpctr\\Binaries\\MSCONFIG.EXE"

Make sure that you tell me if you receive a success message about adding the above
    to the registry. If you do not get a success message, it definitely did not work.

matthewforu Guest

first off all you didn't mentioned which operating system are you using .
    AS there are some os microsoft which don't have ms config .
    for the rest you can go ahaed for the
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\App Paths\MSCONFIG.EXE]