Thread: Unable To Update Windows Vista

Unable To Update Windows Vista

I’ve a PC running Windows Vista and, although when bought it did automatic updates, these are done no more … the New Updates are Available Icon or button constantly appears on the lower right hand corner of the screen but, when clicked, it starts to open a new window that quickly vanishes …

If I go to MICROSOFT.COM’s Security & Updates, click on Microsoft Updates, invariably it tells me “To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to User Accounts in Control Panel.”
    Note: If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you using this website. Contact your system administrator for help with updates.

But, going there, can’t get access to User Accounts, it just won’t open …

At CONTROL PANEL, I can’t open/access Welcome Center, Backup & Restore Center, System, Windows Update, Power Options, Performance Information Tools, Windows Anytime Upgrade

In its Programs & Features, no updates are shown or evidenced

At WINDOWS SECURITY CENTER, it tells me Windows Defender is turned off but, when opened, it seems to be on, although it does not update …

Additionally, IE7 is constantly hanging …

Can anyone HELP me PLEASE???

Re: Unable To Update Windows Vista

You said that Windows Defender is running even if turned off? Try to disable it by going to Services, then try for updates again.
    What Antivirus do you have and what is your Firewall?

See if you can get any help here - http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/845485.htm

Run CCleaner to clear up PC Junk. Also flush the Software Distribution Folder. Reboot. If you are using WindowsUpdate try using MicrosoftUpdates and vice versa.
    Open Internet Explorer => Tools =>Internet Options => Security => Click 'trusted sites' icon =>Click Sites => uncheck 'require server verification'.
    Then add following sites :
    Click Close => Apply => OK. This is known to help the GenuineValidated Windows, in some cases, but not always.

MrChris, thanks so much for responding ...

I disabled Defender as you suggested, but still can't update ... I don't have any antivirus installed ... I installed, a while back, a trial version of OneLiveCare but, as it expired, it was uninstalled ... I really can't say for sure, but it seems problems started after that ... if I recall correctly ...

As to firewall, just Windows' ...

Thanks for responding Solomon ... at the risk of evidencing my ignorance, how do I get to the software distribution folder and how do I flush it? don't laugh, please LMAO!!!

Solomon,

I applied your suggestion about Explorer => Tools =>Internet Options => Security => Click 'trusted sites' icon =>Click Sites => uncheck 'require server verification', and later went to Microsoft's site and try to download updates butm a blank page appeared ... went bak to Explorer => Tools =>Internet Options => Security => Click 'trusted sites' icon =>Click Sites => uncheck 'require server verification' and it stated about:protectedmodeoff

Ensure that you have the latest Windows Update Agent installed. Go to Updating Windows Update Agent for more information.