Thread: Ghostcast Server on Linux

Ghostcast Server on Linux

i recently turn towards linux and not with very good knowledge in it so I was wondering if there is a possibility to a ghost cast server to set up a linux machine (linux command). As far as I know, symantec ghost only for windows.plese provide me proper guide line. also some information about ghosting for unix. thank you .

Re: Ghostcast Server on Linux

GhostCast is sweet. Although, I really wouldn't try to image all 70 machines at once. That's a ton of data being transmitted across the network. If you have all the exact same hardware, it's easy. You create a boot disk with network support, run the disk, connect them to your Ghost server and then send the image across. The absolute hardest part will be creating the boot disk. You'll need to find DOS compatible network card drivers for the boot disk to work.

To create the boot disks(it usually takes 2 floppies), run the Ghost Boot Wizard and follow the instructions for a Network Boot Disk. As I said before, having the same exact hardware is nice as you'll only have to find one network driver. If you have differing network cards, you'll have to find drivers that work for each type, which means you'll need different sets of boot disks for different computers.

g4u ( "ghosting for unix") is a NetBSD-based boot floppy / CD-ROM that allows easy cloning of PC harddisks to Deploy a common setup on a number of PCs using FTP. The floppy / CD offers two functions. The first is to upload the compressed image of a local harddisk to a FTP server, the other is to restore that image via FTP, uncompress it and write it back to disk. Network configuration via DHCP is Fetched. As the harddisk is processed as an image, any filesystem and operating system can be deployed using g4u. Easy cloning of local disks as well as partitions is also supported.

But compared with symantec ghost, this is rather cumbersome. Ftp server etc. ... In symantec ghost, you can easily create a bootable usb stick with network drivers.

ghosting for unix very simple, on a server ftpserver establish a user "install" and password of your choice. and client g4u boot disk in and with a command image and upload to ftpserver.

Code:
    part upload / upload disk (partition or complete hdd) ip (name image.gz) (partition or disk name is something of wd0 for hdd or partition wd0e for example)

Revert:

Code:
    disk slurp / slurp part ip naam.gz (wd0 location or wd0e example)
    showed that very simple and exactly what you needed ...