Thread: Duplicate Files in Windows Folder, Unnecessary space used

Duplicate Files in Windows Folder, Unnecessary space used

It is an old topic, but nobody has given me a satisfactory answer. My windows installation folder contains of about 7.56 GB, it contains 82 folders and 1202 files. If I look through the file and folders, there are obviously duplicates. Microsoft deao not have answer on the forums and alsono good answers are being provided to me. Yet my PC works with this information completely useless in my opinion. Who can tell me what to do? The registry database is regularly maintained with JV 16 Power Tools.
    Thank you

Re: Duplicate Files in Windows Folder, Unnecessary space used

You did not specify your version of Windows, but if 7.5 GB is what you have, I guess you're on XP ... and I think I will start from the premise that it is your Windows directory problem.

Display all hidden files and system files (if not already the case).
    In C: \ WINDOWS you can find a lot of blue records (this means they are compressed). They are files allowing you to uninstall the Windows updates installed ... it may take a little space and if your system is running properly, you can decide to turn that on.

And also, why does it bothers you so much that your Windows takes 7.5 GB? If you need space on your primary partition, empty all folders that can be in temporary file and folder area...

I think that the folder that you are talking about is a folder that contains the installation using msiexec.
    With each update, it is accessed by Windows. It is therefore inadvisable not to touch it.
    However, some of these files may be unnecessary and can be deleted:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive...d-patches.aspx

Delete all the other .tmp files listed. When you do a search, simply select all of them, then find the problem file, hold down the "Ctrl" key and click on it once to deselect it. You should then be able to delete all the others.

Hope this helps.

Windows XP's default installation doesn't provide you with a decent utility for tracking down duplicate files. However, Microsoft does have a tool called Duplicate Finder, which is part of the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools. Here's how to install and use the Duplicate Finder tool:

1. Download the Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools and follow the instructions for installing the Complete installation version.
    2. Open the Run dialog box by pressing [Windows]R.
    3. Type Dupfinder in the Open text box and click OK.
    4. Once DupFinder loads, simply select the drive or folder to search and then click the Start Search button.
    5. When DupFinder completes its search, you can scan through the list and examine the duplicate files.

Here are tips for working with the list of duplicate files:
    1. Use either the Print Report or Export Data commands on the File menu to create a permanent record of the duplicate files.
    2. Use the Sort command on the View menu to reorganize the list for better analysis.
    3. To get more detailed information about any file, select the file, pull down the File menu, and select the Info command.
    4. Leave duplicate files in the Windows folder and its sub folders alone.
    5. If you don't recognize the duplicate file, it's better to use the Rename or Move commands on the File menu rather than the Delete command.

Note: This tip applies to both Windows XP Home and Windows XP Professional.

There are some programmes for XP to find duplicate files. I used to delete music duplicate file. I used the programme Clone Remover for such aim. It helped me. And not only for music files. For pictures, music and a lot of others. Now it is more free place on my PC
    Last edited by rupesh; 15-06-2009 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Link Removed

Hi Team Leader
    The tool provided in XP SP2 is very basic
    For a more advanced tool try Directory Report

Quote Originally Posted by nitesh mehta View Post
    You did not specify your version of Windows, but if 7.5 GB is what you have, I guess you're on XP ...
    That much data can only mean Vista/Windows 7