Thread: Boot windows vista from the bios menu

Boot windows vista from the bios menu

Hi,
    I am using windows Vista. I am able to access bios, can't i reboot from there without using a recovery disk? (the recovery disks i made don't work for some reason. I've tried various suggestions that have been posted to fix this problem. no avail.
    The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.
    -Joe Martin

Re: Boot windows vista from the bios menu

Use the restore feature with it, it should have another drive which it could be done from. It should give you an option during the boot process to press F12 or F10 or some Function key to get it to boot there. Since you say the recovery disks does not work. Have you tried going to the manufacture website and ordering a replacement set to be sent. Sometimes that can help, even thou you might have to wait a week or two to get them.

All you can do in BIOS is change the boot drive from your CD: to your C: drive. After that, you can take a look at your boot.ini (should be C:\boot.ini) and verify that it is pointing to your Windows directory (this is based on XP, not at my Vista pc, but I'm pretty sure they haven't changed that). Please note, if your MBR has actually been overwritten, odds are you will be looking at a reinstall.

The BIOS is hard coded on a chip on the Motherboard and the only way to change it is to flash it. Just download the latest version from your Motherboard manufacturer and put it on a usb stick. Change your current BIOS to boot from the usb first and after you save those settings just reboot. Flashing the BIOS usually only takes about 5 minutes or so, once it has completed you can go back into the BIOS and change your boot disk order and make any other tweaks you want. Just keep in mind, if the BIOS flash fails, you pretty much brick your motherboard and will need to replace it.