Thread: Problem with defragmentation in Vista

idea Problem with defragmentation in Vista

Hey Everyone,

Have installed Windows Vista on my system and trying to run defragmentation. It almost more than 3 hours and still the defragmentation process is going on. I don't know how long it will take to finish the process. It seems to be that there is no control on the percentage finished process. Can any one tell me that how much time it takes to complete the process of defragmentation. Does any one have any idea on the above issue? Kindly let me know your views on the above issue.

Thanks.

Re: Problem with defragmentation in Vista

Follow the below steps in order to defrag your drives in Windows Vista.

1. Open a Command Prompt as Administrator .
    Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories, right click on the Command Prompt and choose “Run as administrator”. Obviously you need admin privileges to do this.

2. Type the following see how much your hard drive is fragmented (in this example, your C drive) defrag c: -a

3. Vista will tell you a “Percent file fragmentation” and, at the bottom, if you need to defragment the drive or not.

4. To fully defragment your C drive type the following: defrag c: -w

5. Give it time to run (best to leave the computer alone) and then you’re done.

Windows Vista now comes with an automatic disk defrag tool that is enabled by default. Specifically, it is set to run at 1am every Wednesday. You can disable or modify this by performing the following steps:

1) Click the “Start Orb”

2) Click the Control Panel

3) Click “System and Maintenance”

4) Finally, choose “Defragment your hard drive” from under “Administrative Tools” (at the bottom of the menu/list).

Defragment seems to make more problems in Windows Vista than it did in Windows XP.The following error messages are symptomatic: “The Disk Defragmenter is not installed on your computer” or “Windows cannot connect to the Disk Defragmenter engine”.

The first thing that can be done is to register two dynamic link libraries (dlls) again. This can be done by opening a command prompt as an administrator and typing in the following commands:You might need to switch to the system32 directory first in the command line using cd /windows/system32/.

The second option is to reinstall the defragment tool completely. Locate the file dfrg.inf in the /windows/inf/ directory. Right-click it and select Install from the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Axton View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Have installed Windows Vista on my system and trying to run defragmentation. It almost more than 3 hours and still the defragmentation process is going on. I don't know how long it will take to finish the process. It seems to be that there is no control on the percentage finished process. Can any one tell me that how much time it takes to complete the process of defragmentation. Does any one have any idea on the above issue? Kindly let me know your views on the above issue.

Thanks.
    The Vista defragger does not have a proper graphical interface or progress indicator; and it's also very slow to run, especially on larger drives that have many files, so it's difficult to predict when it will be done.

I use Diskeeper 2009 Pro on my Vista; it was not free, but is a great program. Has both auto and manual defrag modes with VSS compatibility, and defragments the drives quickly and properly unlike Vista's defragger. You can also defrag multiple drives simultaneously and defrag system files .