Thread: How do i set password in Suse Linux

idea How do i set password in Suse Linux

Hello Friends,

I would like to know that i do i set password option in Suse Linux. I had recently bought a new Compaq Presario laptop and had done through with the setup procedure. I would like to setup a paasword option for my user account. Does any one have any idea how can i do so? Any help on it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Re: How do i set password in Suse Linux

The pam_passwdqc module is a simple password strength checking module for PAM. In addition to checking regular passwords, it offers support for passphrases and can provide randomly generated ones.
    The pam_passwdqc module provides functionality for only one PAM management group: password changing. In terms of the module-type parameter, this is the ”password” feature.

Here you go: SuSE Linux Password Policy.

PASSWDQC
    retry = the number of times the module will ask for a new password if the user fails to provide a sufficiently strong password and enter it twice the first time
    ask_oldauthok = ask for the old password
    check_oldauthtok = this tells pam_passwdqc to validate the old password before giving a new password prompt
    max = the maximum allowed password length
    min = N0,N1,N2,N3,N4

N0 is used for passwords consisting of characters from one character class only. The character classes are: digits, lower-case letters, upper-case letters, and other characters. There is also a special class for non-ASCII characters which could not be classified, but are assumed to be non-digits.

Re: How do i set password in Suse Linux

First login to single user mode. If you don’t see either a LILO or GRUB boot screen, try hitting CTRL-X to get one. If it’s LILO, just type “linux single” and press Enter. If GRUB, hit ‘e“, then select the “kernel” line, hit “e” again, and add “single” or just “1” to the end of the line. Press ENTER, and then press “b” to boot into single user mode. If you get a message “Give root password for system maintenance“, this isn’t going to work because you have another password control here.

So, you can add “init=/bin/bash” (LILO “linux init=/bin/bash” or add it to the Grub “kernel” line after “single” or “1” as mentioned above).

By the time, you should be able to see a prompt “#“. As you know root password is write on the /etc/shadow file and I don’t think you have permission write into “/etc” folder.

Type:

mount -o remount,rw /

OR

mount -o remount,rw /dev/sdX

which sdX is your “/” partition.