Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change Windows 7 startup sound

Change Windows 7 startup sound

Anyone tried it? Like i was able to do in vista Windows 7 doesn't offer a way to change the stupid startup sound?? have any one found any way? Thanks for any help

Re: Change Windows 7 startup sound

If you would like to change the default Widows sounds, then follow the below instructions:

1. Right-click on Desktop and select Personalize.

2. Click on the link named “Sounds” at the bottom of the window.

3. Next, select a sound event from the list and then hit Browse button. Note that you need to have your customized new sound file in .wav format.

4. Select your desired .wav sound track and click Open and then click Apply.

5. Once you change the sound, just hit the Play button to test the customized sound.

Repeat the procedure from step 3 to step 5 to customize all or any sound event. Only thing you need to remember is that Windows supports only .wav files.

That doesn't seem to work for Window 7.

The windows 7 start up sound is a separate check box with no way to change it.

I found this post because I was looking for a way to change it myself.

If I could find out where the file is stored I might be able to substitute another file for it but so far no luck.
    The standing joke is that I have the only computer in Michigan with a British accent and I want to put in my traditional greeting.

Mie

Windows wav files are stored in directory C:\Windows\Media. The files are locked and require permission from Trustedinstaller to make changes to the files. If anyone knows what 'Trustedinstaller' is please let me know.

There is a way by which you can access the file permission. First go to the directory then right click on any file. Make sure that you are login as a administrator. Right click and then select properties. Go to security tab and then click on change permission. Click on edit and then add you account. Click on full control and your are done.

Hi

The interesting thing is that the sound listed as the Windows start up sound in the Windows Media Folder is not the one that it plays when Windows starts.

I looked through the list trying anything that sounded like it might be it and none of them are.

I guess they really don't want us to change this sound.

Mike

Hi

The problem is that Windows 7 is different from all the earlier versions in one thing.

The "Widows Start Up Sound" is not included on the list of sounds.
    It is shown as a check box that either plays or does not play the sound at startup.

In addition, in the folder where the Windows sounds are stored, it is not included among the files. So you can not make another file with the same name and substitute it for the standard one. There is a file named "Windows Startup" but it is now the file that plays when Windows launches. It just makes a click sound.

They must have made a conscious decision to make it difficult or impossible to replace the sound for some reason.

Mike

Hello on the sounds find windows change theme thats the main startup sound on windows 7 and the exit sound u should be ok with its in the list let me know if worked

ok forget the last thing i posted the change the startup and shutdowns in win 7 go sounds log on sound = startup exit windows sound = sound down edit then with your own sounds to make win 7 start and close how u want it

Dr. Raven Shaw here. I've been working with computers and fiver optics, well, since before most of the people out here were born. Anyone familiar with BBS? No? Perhaps that's because it was BEFORE the Internet.

So, now that this is out of the way, and since this site refuses to allow IMAGE uploads from my computer, ANYONE that wants simple, straight forward instructions on changing their WINDOWS 7 sound startup, email me at:

ravenshawparanormalresearch@gmail.com.

I'll send you a .PDF file complete with images gleaned from own system. PS - I've been changing my SEVEN sounds for a very long time now. I have a collection I choose from and NEVER need to listen to windows standard crap sounds again!

The instructions are long, the actual procedure is simple and takes less than 5 minutes. As soon as you have done it once, you'll be able yo do it again and again. Impress friends and family with your savvy computer intellect.

Cordially,
    Dr. Raven Shaw, PhD

There is another way to change the startup sound of Windows 7 that was given at microsoft.com network, follow the below steps

• Select an audio file of your choice and make sure you convert it to a wave file not just wav
    • Rename it 5080 if you are using English version of windows 7 united states language,so your audio file should be 5080.wave .(DON'T MAKE YOUR WAVE FILE MORE THEN 330 KB AS I'M NOT SURE HOW BIG IT CAN BE )
    • Copy (imageres.dll ) file you will find this c/windows/system32 and save to desktop also make a copy of it and put it in a safe place just in-case things don't go right for you.
    • Download XN resource Editor Open the imageres.dll file in XN resource editor that you have saved to your desktop find the folder that reads wave and expand it below it is a file named 5080 expand that and right click delete resource on the file named English (United States)
    • Select resource in XN Resource Editor then select import user resource find your file we made named 5080 and save and then exit now replace the imageres.dll file that you have made into c/windows/system32 and your good to go reboot enjoy. i have tried other ways and they didn't work for me i just played around with things and this is what worked for me

YOU MUST DO THIS IN SAFE MODE OR IF YOU HAVE A DUAL BOOT USING XP IT WILL MAKE THINGS EASY. Also make sure you un check the Play Windows start up sound before you try to change it.

@ JAMES_911,
    Dude, you're a frickn' GENIUS! I dunno how you figured that out but it's totally spot on. I wanted to know how to change the sound so I could capture it for use elsewhere. My laptop OS is a custom Windows 7 'Crysis' build that has a cool startup sound I want to use on my PC, which is running an XP OS built on a Windows 7 platform(weird, I know). That XN Resource Editor allowed me to find the file, export it, and vuala! I give the raw, exported 'file' the '.wav' extension and, bam, it plays like any other WAV file.
    Folks, this guy knows what he's doin.

sad Re: Change Windows 7 startup sound

I keep getting a system error Code 50. what am I doing wrong? I followed the instructions to the latter and made the changes in Safe Mode and the editor gives me the error code.

EDIT: I tried several different thing and nothing worked. I'm completely stumped. Why did Micro$oft do such a stupid thing? You can change every other sound but the start up one?!?!

RIDICULOUS!!!!
    Last edited by Furious1964; 23-09-2010 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Nothing's working!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Furious1964 View Post
    I tried several different thing and nothing worked. I'm completely stumped. Why did Micro$oft do such a stupid thing? You can change every other sound but the start up one?!?!
    Sorry mate ,, i have tried changing the start up sound on my Windows 7 and it does without making any more effort. The steps mentioned above are proper for the same. I guess, there might be some/any application in your system that is preventing from doing the same. You have to findout the same as i can't help for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast