Thread: Windows Vista explorer.exe hogs up cpu 80%

Windows Vista explorer.exe hogs up cpu 80%

I have a quad core machine with Windows Vista, so explorer only hogs up to 80% of CPU instead of all. On this latest instance, I turned the Windows Explorer window turned off & waited for 2 hour, but nothing happened, it continues to be the same. Then tried 'regsrvr32 somedll' that someone said in some other forums which was a problem under XP, which earned me "error code 0x800a0046", so I guess that wasn't the thing to do.
    So if anyone can help me out from solving this issue, it would be great. Thank you

Re: Windows Vista explorer.exe hogs up cpu 80%

When opening up Task Manager, there are plenty of svchost.exe instances and also data on running by who (System, Local Service, Network Service, etc.), however, that so much information you get about the svchost.exe session. Previously in Windows earlier than Vista, users can use tasklist (for Windows XP/2003) or tlist (for Windows 2000) in command prompt to list out what is actually the services that are in charged by a particular svchost.exe based on the PID. Windows Vista enhances this feature and makes lookup a little easier. Here’s how to identify the services behind a svchost.exe process.

1. Right click on a blank space on TaskBar and click on Task Manager to open up the Task Manager.
    2. Click on Processes tab.
    3. Click on Show processes from all users button.
    4. Click Continue button when prompted with User Account Control dialog.
    5. There will be a long list of svchost.exe shown in elevated Task Manager.
    6. Locate the svchost.exe that you want to find out what’s the services running behind it, such as those with high CPU usage or high memory usage, right click on it, and choose Go to Service(s).
    7. The focus tab will be switched and transferred over to the Services tab, with a few services been selected and highlighted. There are many services that are associated with the particular svchost.exe
    8. Once identify the services that are possibly causing the svchost.exe to hogging system resources, carefully work out the services that you suspect may cause the issue. Once determined a suspected service, right click on it, and select Stop Service. Before you stopping any service, make sure that no other services rely on that particular services. You can click on Service… button to launch Services applet in Control Panel, and the see the properties of the service to view its dependencies. Also be warned that disabling any wrong service may destabilize Vista system.

What happens if you tell Explorer to start windows in a separate process? Turn off indexing?

Out of habit I always just set all of my data folders to be document folders and to show me the details view.

I find this phenomenon interesting because I've been so awe-inspired with Vista's UI responsiveness on my four test machines. I just don't seem to be able to get one of these systems to do anything that makes the UI unresponsive -- except for the odd application crash.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

I think I have found a solution, but I'm not sure about it.

When you go to the settings of the starmenu (right click on the startmenu and properties) you can Adjust the startmenu by click on "adjust"(or so, i don't no about the word in english because my system is german).
    Then the 4th point (after run, pictures and computer) is "search files" (or "Dateien suchen" in german).
    There you have to choose one of three options. The first is to search in documents (userfiles), the second search in hole index and the third is do not search)

When I set it to the third, "do not search in documents", i havent the problem with the CPU anymore, if I set it to "search in userfiles".