Thread: Can't install drivers for USB modem on Windows 7

Can't install drivers for USB modem on Windows 7

hi, i have Q6700 @ 3.5 Stable
    Motherboard XfX 790i Ultra
    GeForce 8800 GTX OC
    Corsair Memory 2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM,i recently installed windows 7 on my system,thr problem occur when i try to install driver for my Speedtouch (Thomson) 330 USB modem,Windows 7 as the driver for the modem fails to load during the USB file installation, I boot up the computer without the modem connected and connect the modem after my fax software has started all is fine.Has anyone else run into this problem? Any fixes or work-arounds out there?

Re: Can't install drivers for USB modem on Windows 7

hi,
    I have tried several things to resolve this same exact issue. I am still unable to resolve it either. I attempted to bypass the Smart View software like I did in XP. I configured the connection manually but Windows 7 simply does not recognize this device. When the driver installer program runs there is a message which I'm sure you've all seen by now where it says "Driver installer does not recognize your OS".I think it's up to Sierra and or their service carriers to get these drivers to be recognized or created to work with WIN7. Looks like right now dial up and regular broad band is the only way at this point to get this thing on line.

You should be able to do is browse to Device Manager and single click a device that has a yellow question mark in front of it. Now right click the specific device and choose update driver from the context menu. Click the "No, not this time" option on the Hardware Update Wizard and click the next button. Then choose the "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" option and click the next button. Then choose the "Search for the best driver in these locations" option and click the "Include this location in the search" box and browse to the folder with the drivers in it and click the next button. Windows should find the driver in the folder you placed in your desktopor any drive and install it. You'll have to do this for every device that has a yellow question mark in front of it.

Try the following to slove the problem:
    1. Uninstall any software associated with the modem
    2. Disconnect the modem from the computer
    3. Install the driver
    4. Connect the modem and when prompted, point Windows to where the driver is installed.

Unfortunately it cant be done this way
    UM150 Pantech Verizon card
    uses an installer for VZ access and it simply does NOT install the drivers at all
    it just stops with Unsupported OS. end of story
    If I had some drivers to point to, I would love to try
    can anyone send me to a link for drivers only Pantech UM150?
    for ANY OS? Preferably 64bit

Anddeme Guest

Try find a driver from windows XP... i dont know if it works with your system but i use Vista Ultimate x64 and i had to find 2 diferent drivers x64 base from xp to get my bluetooth work... sounds strange but it works!, the only thing is that i have 2 bluetooth icons on the tankbar and i had to disable the one...

Anddeme Guest

cool Re: Can't install drivers for USB modem on Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Anddeme View Post
    Try find a driver from windows XP... i dont know if it works with your system but i use Vista Ultimate x64 and i had to find 2 diferent drivers x64 base from xp to get my bluetooth work... sounds strange but it works!, the only thing is that i have 2 bluetooth icons on the tankbar and i had to disable the one...
    Try to do the same with your modem, if nothing works then rollback the driver ... or restore the system if something goes wrong... you never know if it work unless you see a bluescreen comes to you :p whitch that the worst case senario

This is can be a drive issue. Currnelty all the drives are made either Windows XP or Windows Vista compatible. Windows 7 is new. So the Windows Vista drive are work in it. Now see the below link and you can get a list of drives related to hardware. Download the relevant for your hardware.
    Drivers for USB.

I think my friends, windows 7 is a brand new O/S, I have the same problem with a HP p6240f Pavilion PC. My problem is worth, my system didn't came with a modem. I tried to install one and the drivers were missing. Called HP and they told me, for my model they do not installed modems, they have other systems with modems and they claimed they were unable to sell me those, because the system, from the fabric didn't had it. Now, I have to wait until manufacturers bring them with the propers drivers. Even do, a PCI-express card, unless they have the drivers for win 7, will not work. will be a long wait....................... hope you fix yours fast.

You can use the Internal Modem that sits on a PCI card, PCI-E modems are not available as far as i know. All the major manufacturer's drivers are pe installed and the card will be detected. But i have a question! Why on earth do you need a modem these days?

smile Re: Can't install drivers for USB modem on Windows 7

My dear friend, That's why today are so many stolen Id's. As far as I know, the documents you send by Fax, are the only secure one these days. I am an old guy, with old secure things in mind. Thanks for the reply. I will keep waiting for my Modem. And excused me, There's a lot of PCI-e modems out there, what they don't have, is the drivers for Win 7 yet. But they will come out soon.
    Last edited by juniorsius; 06-12-2009 at 02:48 AM.