Thread: Startup Error Code 0xc0000001

Startup Error Code 0xc0000001

Hello , I have Windows XP Professional installed in my Pc . Everytime When I start MY Windows XP Professional computer, I receive the following error message:

Security Accounts Manager initialization failed because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning. Error Status: 0xc0000001. Please click OK to shut down this system and reboot into Safe Mode, check event log for more detailed information.
    This error message Also Occur When I start my Pc in Safe mode PLease Help Me Solve This Problem Thank In Advance

Re: Startup Error Code 0xc0000001

Hello, This issue may occur if the Security Accounts Manager file (SAM) is corrupted or missing. You cannot use the repair process or the recovery console to resolve this issue. These methods require authentication, which cannot occur if the SAM file is corrupted or missing.Restore the SAM File from Backup If you used the Backup utility in Windows XP to back up the system state, you can restore the SAM (and all other registry settings) from the disk or archived copy by using the Restore Wizard or the Automated System Recovery Wizard.

Hello, You can Try Reinstalling Windows XP .If you cannot restore the SAM file As Stated Above then , you must reinstall Windows XP to replace the SAM file. You must use the New Installation option to replace the SAM file. If you perform use the In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) option for Windows XP, the SAM file is not replaced. This method may require that you reformat the partition that Windows XP is installed to. Before you continue with this method, make sure that you have a backup of your My Documents folder, or select an option to install Windows XP to a different partition than where Windows is currently installed.

Hi , You can Solve This problem Copying the SAM File from the Repair Folder If you cannot restore the SAM file by using the Windows Backup utility, copy the SAM file from the following location

C:\WINDOWS\repair

and paste it to this location:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\config

When you do this, you will lose all accounts or groups that had been created. You will also need credentials that were valid at the time that the ASR was run. This will restore the SAM back to the last instance that Automated System Recovery (ASR) was run, or to when the system was first installed

Hello, I had the Similar problem I found the answer. I had tried everything to fix this error was almost ready to give up but I read on a forum to try and defrag. I hit F8 to access the safe boot options. I then selected directory services restore mode. I was able to login and run defrag. I didn't think this had a chance to work but I rebooted and sure enough it worked. I was able to boot system as normal. Just shows even the simplest tools can aid in disaster recovery.