Thread: Computer freezes after copying a large file

Computer freezes after copying a large file

Hi all! I have this problem: Sometimes when I copy a file that's over laike 3 Gb I get a system freeze with the impossibility of doing anything but to move my mouse cursor. There is nothing else to do but to restart the system. At startup it tells me that there was a problem an it asks me how I want to start windows(safe mode etc.).
    I have a RAID 0 of 2xST3500320AS, 4x1Gb OCZ@667, Q6600, Foxconn P35a-s, Sapphire HD4870 and I use Vista x64 SP1.
    What I do notice is that in the taskbar the memory bumps at almost 100% right before the system freeze and right before the file copy finishes. This crash occured like 4 times in 4 months.
    If anyone has any ideas, please help!

Re: Computer freezes after copying a large file

Can you use the operating system's backup program? System Tools: Backup Status and Configuration ?. Do you get the problem when copying from an external USB HDD ? If so, do you get the same problem when you use the USB 1.1 connection or a different USB cable?

Usually when there is a problem with a drive you will get a restart, or if enabled, a BSOD or Blue Screen of Death. Rarely have I seen a hard drive freeze up a computer. It could even be a combination of things. Try the following:

1. Download a free copy of memtest86, burn the ISO and use it to boot and test your memory: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

2. Try a live version of a different Operating System. Ubuntu is great as a diagnostic tool, you can create a Live CD which runs the Operating System without installing it.

3. Do an overall check, which includes temperatures, voltages, etc.

4. Reset your BIOS (Battery / Jumper methods) - Could be a misconfiguration.

Can you use the operating system's backup program? System Tools: Backup Status and Configuration?

Everything is fine. I can copy and I can paste but just sometimes like once in a month it freezes when I copy a large file from a partition to another. But berore the freeze the memory goes 100%....BTW, I'll do a memtest.