Thread: Computer get shut-down itself

Computer get shut-down itself

Hello,, I am a Windows XP user, My system was working properly before but since a week it get restarted itself after every 10 to 15 mints.
    Whats wrong with it?

Re: Computer get shut-down itself

This issue could be caused by any of this possibilities:-

Heat related issue:-
    Many computers today are designed to turn off or automatically reboot if the computer, processor, or other device in your computer gets too hot.You will need to either open the computer and make sure the fan are working

Hardware issue or error:-
    If you have recently attempted to add a new hardware device, remove that device to make sure it is not causing your issues.

Before attempting to remove any hardware, make sure you are not encountering this issue because of hardware conflicts by viewing Device Manager for errors.If you have not recently installed any new hardware into the computer, the next best solution to determining if this is a hardware issue would be remove any hardware on the computer that is not needed.

Computer virus:-
    It's possible for your computer to be infected with a virus that is designed to shut down your computer or turn it off. If your computer seems to be turning off when executing a certain program at specific times in the day, it could be infected.

If you believe your computer may be infected with a virus or are uncertain if your computer is infected with a virus, make sure your virus scanner definitions are up to date.

Issue with operating system:-
    If after following each of the above recommendations your computer still continues to reboot, it is likely that you are experiencing a Microsoft Windows operating system related issue that cannot be explained. To help make sure this is the case, please try this steps:-

1. Reboot the computer and enter CMOS setup as the computer is booting.

2. After you have loaded the computer in CMOS setup, let the computer sit.

If the computer does not turn off while letting the computer sit in CMOS, it is likely that you are in fact experiencing an issue with Microsoft Windows or your operating system and it is recommend that if you have followed all of the above recommendations that you reinstall your version of Microsoft Windows.

Other failing hardware:-
    If after reinstalling your operating system, or during the installation of your operating system, your computer turns off abnormally, it is very likely that other hardware is failing in the computer. Often this is RAM, CPU, Motherboard, and/or Power Supply (in that order).
    I think you will need to have the computer serviced.

In this case you failed to list probably the most important component in the computer - your power supply unit.
    The problem could be RAM, but most likely it's a power supply problem. I can't help you in this case unless i know what PSU you're running and a voltage read. You can either read the voltages from the BIOS or from a program like Speedfan. (Perhaps your Gigabyte board also has a voltage monitor.)

If you are not familiari suggest you to get your system serviced once.

If your system keeps on rebooting over and over then you should try the following:-

Only connect the mb,cpu,cooler,minimal RAM & vga. So no HD or cd-rom or other pci cards.

Try resetting your CMOS

If you still have it then, (IMO) i think its the motherbord that shortcircuits something.some motherboards have overheating protection, there should be a jumper on the motherboard to disable that just make sure your heatsink is connected right and the fan is spinning b4 u do. also sometimes you have to plug the cpu fan into the cpu fan plug 1 on the mobo otherwise it will not start. you can usually bypass that by holding down the insert key when you hit the powerswitch. then if all that doesn't help take the mobo, power supply and switch and set it on the table to rule out the possibility of a short to the case. if all that doesn't work start replacing parts till u find out what its exactly.

Continuous rebooting sounds like the crowbar circuit in the power suppy is being triped. It kills the power supply to prevent an overload. Only way to reset it is to totally remove the main power for several seconds. Could be that your power supply can't handle what you have connected to it. How many watts is it rated for? Another posibility is that something is overheating under load, video card or posibly your CPU. They go into thermal runaway and try to draw to much current from your power supply, overloading it.