Thread: Missing Plugin in Windows Vista?

Missing Plugin in Windows Vista?

Hello, I Search for thid on a few forums but I can not find the exact solution. The concern I have is that when I want to listen to the songs on the internet in my windows vista Pc , the site displays the Video correctly but the not the sound! I have a message saying that plugin was missing and that I should install it manually, what do I do and ultimately it is not compatible. I have Xp also and it work fine there How to find this and install it ? Thank you in advance,

Re: Missing Plugin in Windows Vista?

Hi , Surprise, a complete install of Windows Media Player in Windows Vista does not provide the necessary .dll files needed to play WMA or ASX files in Firefox. This means that if you do a fresh install of Windows Vista and Firefox 2.x and try to listen to an archived program on kexp.org you’re going to get that this ugly little window: Your first instinct is to let Firefox figure it out, by clicking the Install Missing Plugins. But then it says you have to manually install the plugin and you get directed to install the full Windows Media Player (WMP). Only this won’t solve the problem. What you really need is to download three .dll files and copy them into your C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins directory.

These dll files are:
    1. npdsplay.dll(download)
    2. npwmsdrm.dll (download)
    3. npdrmv2.dll (download)

The WMP plugin is not included in Windows Vista and may also be missing in other Windows systems. You may visit a site that includes embedded media requiring the WMP plugin and receive a message such as Unknown plugin (application/x-mplayer) or you may be incorrectly directed to reinstall the WMP program, which is not a solution, since reinstalling or updating Windows Media Player does not add the missing plugins .

If your system is missing the WMP plugin, use one of these solutions:

Installing the new plugin
    Firefox and Seamonkey: Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista users can install the new Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin provided by Microsoft. To install the new plugin, download the installer file to your computer, then close your browser and run the installer.

The plugin installer adds the file "np-mswmp.dll" to the Firefox installation directory plugins folder, typically "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins". If Firefox is not installed or if the Firefox installation directory cannot be located, the plugin will be placed in another location such as C:\PFiles\Plugins . To install the plugin in SeaMonkey or in a custom Firefox installation, you will need to copy the "np-mswmp.dll" file to your browser's plugins folder, for example, to the "C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\SeaMonkey\plugins" folder for SeaMonkey.

Hello If you have a internet explorer installed then check this thread sound problem with Internet Explorer it might be helpful