Thread: MCMSC File in Windows Operating System

MCMSC File in Windows Operating System

hi there

I am having a small doubt regarding a windows file. I was going through Windows\Temp folder and came across a file called mcmsc with random letters and numbers. I deleted some of them but 3 could not be deleted because they were being accessed by windows.

The file names are:

mcmsc_7KJH0fgo79RNwOt
    mcmsc_YxXMY9oOcDbRSDV
    mcmsc_hz9ZktXm9gZShjw

Can anyone explain me what are these files?
    Please help me regarding this problem

Re: MCMSC File in Windows Operating System

Well you got firstly a temp log file dump. These are your log files from McAfee,if you close your antivirus you should find that the last file dissappears lol

Should be alright to delete

I think there’s an installation bug associated with Vista. Lpksetup.exe creates new Temp files on every boot when it can’t find a language pack to delete. I still haven’t found the cause, but the procedure listed below will stop the Temp files from being created.

Click Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Task Scheduler/Task Scheduler Library/Microsoft/Windows/MUI/right click on LPRemove and set to Disable.

Most operating systems offer primitives such as pipes, sockets or shared memory to pass data among programs, but often the simplest way (especially for programs that follow the Unix philosophy) is to write data into a temporary file and inform the receiving program of the location of the temporary file.

Some programs create temporary files and then leave them behind - they do not delete them. This can happen because the program crashed or the developer of the program simply forgot to add the code needed to delete the temporary files after the program is done with them. The temporary files left behind by the programs accumulate over time and can take up a lot of disk space. System utilities, called temporary file cleaners or disk cleaners, can be used to address this issue.

The usual filename extension for temporary files is ".TMP". Temporary files are normally created in a designated temporary directory reserved for the creation of temporary files.

On Unix, temporary files can be safely created with the mkstemp or tmpfile library functions, or with the mktemp program. These files are typically located in the /tmp directory.

One possible root for many of your problems could be that you are using FAT32 file system when NTFS is the recommended, and safer, file system for XP and above.

Standard Windows utility that is called CONVERT serves this purpose

Just go to the Command Prompt and execute the command:

C:\> CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs

Where C: is a name of the drive you want to convert.

After machine re-boot conversion process will start and you'll have your FAT32 converted to NTFS without data loss.

Then you should do a disk check..go to Start/Run and enter cmd (Command Prompt) click enter and then type in chkdsk C: /r then hit enter.

(Spaces are very important in both the above commands).

You'll get an error asking if you would like to proceed at next boot. Hit Y and then enter.
    Reboot and the disk will be checked for errors.

If all this fails to correct anything then I would suggest a complete format and reinstallation of XP SP2. But only after the file system is changed to NTFS.