Thread: HELP!!!!!.. Crash after accessing Remote Desktop

sad HELP!!!!!.. Crash after accessing Remote Desktop

Can someone please help...I have tried all of the "obvious" fixes...chkdsk, fixmbr, recovery, repair, etc, etc...still cant get it to boot.
    i wanted to try the remote desktop feature of XP. So I was prompted to insert my XP CD to install additional files. I did this and all was going well. After it was finished and before I could try the RD feature my pc crashed.
    it is now stuck in a continuing cycle of trying to reboot. It never makes it past teh windows logo splash, then it reboots again, and again, and again, and etc. etc. I have tried eveerything except reformatting and starting from scratch. Most of my data is backed up, however I have a bazillion apps wich I really just dont want to have to reinstall again. Upon initiating the repair option from my XP CD i did notice my C drive available space was down to under 200mb...YES MB...I have never made the rookie mistake of trying to install something without having enough memory to install, but I fear I may have done that in this case. Any ideas on how to fix...or perhaps move some data from my C drive to my F drive ?....Ive even call Microsoft tech support and they are unable to fix this...believe it or not they reccommended Partition Magic!!!! but couldnt guaranty the results!!!!

Re: HELP!!!!!.. Crash after accessing Remote Desktop

Guessing why your PC crashed after installing additional files for RDP is very difficult. Might be that you have installed files that were not required, files that corrupted windows system files, or while installing... use accidentally deleted some system files.

If you can boot into safe mode, then from there disable automatically restart feature of windows and then try to boot in normal mode. You may get BSOD with some errors listed. Try to note it down and mention that here. That might be of some help to recognize the problem.

Boot from your XP cd and go into recovery console (r=repair) At the prompt type:

FIXBOOT
    FIXMBR

This should write a new boot sector and a new Master boot record to your XP drive. (I guess you are using XP)

Bootup from windows 98 bootable floppy and execute this command 'fdisk /mbr'.
    You can download bootable floppy from www.bootdisk.com

1st..thx for the speedy replies. 2nd ...im writing this from my wii,shnce my pc is trash so xcuse typos. 3rd ..i have tried fixboot/fixmbr as suggested. didnt work. 4th i also tried recopying kernell32.dll file[got this from microsoft site]...that didnt work...took the hd out,inssrt in diff pc ran avg/macafee..no virus found...disable restart...here is stop message...0x0000008e[0xc0000005,0x804D9452,0xF6F035C4,0Ax000000000]...also i have already swaped out ram/vid cardsf to see if they were the cause..,,no diff...same problem.....hope this helps

also yes its xp pro sp2

What files did you installed/copied from Windows CD to your computer? I wonder how your computer asked for the additional files for the remote desktop!! As far as I know, for RDP, nothing extra stuff is required, only some internal settings are required to be done on the host computer.

Quote Originally Posted by theoellis View Post
    0x0000008e[0xc0000005,0x804D9452,0xF6F035C4,0Ax000000000]
    Could not find any in-deep info on this exact error code. Along with this error code, you must have got some description as well. For example like... KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED at the end of the BSOD. Just an example. Error code and description both are useful. Coz only error code like this 0x0000008e can be a cause of multiple problem.

Anyways, according to this 0x0000008e,
    KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
    A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

0xc0000005
    A memory access violation occurred.

Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

See if you can get into the BIOS by hitting the DELETE key while the computer is booting up. Find the ram memory setting and figure out how to turn off shadowing.

Then see if you can boot into windows, or fix the OS. You may need more memory to make up for the shadow ram loss, even though I have seldom seen any computer with shadow ram turned on. I personally run all my XP computers with 2 gigs of ram. I also run the system with NTFS since it is much more stable than fat32.

Since my last post I have accessed my BIOS by hitting f1. I read somewhere else about turning off cache/sjadow however I do not see those options anywhere in my bios settings. also I downloaded "Ultimate boot CD" which has lots of "bootable" diagnostics. I have ran a diagnostic check of all my hardware andBIOS and accoding to the apps I used. everything has checked out. In fact there is even a prgram to access "www" from dos which I am writing this from> its a crude version of the web but its better than my wii for typing....LOL..to answer your question about the files...i dont know...i remember clicking the remote desktop from the start menu...and a prompt came up which said "please insert windows xp cd as additional files are neede

I inserted the disk...windows installer appeared and copied teh files...and i even remember it said "to save space xp doesnt install the rd files by default"...i have researched all the error codes and im still stumped...i refuse to take it to the shop or do a reformat when i know there is a workaround...i need to keep looking i guess

EUREKA!!!!!!!!!! I FINALLY GOT IT TO BOOT....herex what worked...kb307545..from the microsoft knowledge base website....heres the irony...i have been on the phone with ms everyday this week and not one of their techs recomm. that site....however now i got a new prob....msg says product activation is no good...wont let me log on....any clues or fixes

Quote Originally Posted by theoellis View Post
    msg says product activation is no good...wont let me log on....
    Do you get error: 0x80004005 along with that message? The 0x80004005 error on the Key Updater Utility is almost always indicative of the computer not being able to fully communicate with MS servers. The Key Updater has to have full access to the servers in order to validate about 6,000 files. Miss-configured firewalls, antivirus programs, antispyware protective programs, popup blockers and miss-configured ISP DNS servers have been known to cause the error you are seeing. Please address these possibilities and try again. Some previous posters have reported that temporarily changing to different DNS servers helped them work around the problem.

The Key Updater Utility needs full access to the internet. If you are running a firewall, please make a special rule to allow the Utility to have full access. In some cases, it may be necessary to temporarily disable firewalls as well as the aforementioned programs if they are interfering with the Utility. All this you can do in Safe Mode if you cannot login in Normal mode.