Thread: DirectX Error in Vista

DirectX Error in Vista

Hello , I want a bit Help realated Directx on Vista ,I have Recently Upgraded to Service pack 1. Up until recently I have had no problem running all Type of games. I cannot run any games at all.Whenever i try to run any game it me the follwing Error that

DirectX error D3DERR_NOT_AVAILABLE

So What should i do, trying installing a new driver would fix the problem. The driver info in the Device manager for both cards says there is a problem with the driver, but I am suspecting Directx is corrupted.I ahve no idea how to fix or reinstall Directx though. There is no DirectX10 reinstall that I can find, and installing DirectX9.0c had no effect. I am not sure Directx 9 was really installed though. Regardless I am at a loss.

Re: DirectX Error in Vista

Download the newest drivers for your video card and see if that works.
    • ATI card:ati.amd.com
    • NVIDIA: nvidia.com

and Reinstall the Drivers It may solve your problem thanks

Vista has DirectX9 compatibility too. Might be worth reinstalling it if its on the your game disk. Or try the latest runtime from Microsoft Click on these link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Read this Article

Windows Vista’s powerful new graphics engine may be one of its hallmark features, but it’s engendering complaints from a key segment of potential early adopters: hardcore gamers.

A small but significant number of games written for Windows XP either crash or creep along slowly on Vista, according to numerous complaints by game enthusiasts in online forums.

"Formatted PC, installed Vista, updated any drivers possible. Now half [of my] games will not run, or run with corrupt graphics," lamented one poster on Jan. 31 in a discussion forum at graphics chipmaker Nvidia Corp.’s Web site.

"You installed Vista. You deserve your problems. Heh," replied a second poster.

Most of the problems have been found in popular first-person shooter games such as CounterStrike, Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and F.E.A.R.

Games, especially first-person shooters, tend to strain a PC’s graphics capabilities much more than business or even multimedia applications.

Besides the occasional crash, the most common reports appear to be games whose animation speed, measured in frames per second, suffers under Vista.

Experts blame still-flaky software drivers, Vista’s complexity and a dearth of new video cards optimized for Vista’s new rendering technology, DirectX 10.

That’s despite promises from Microsoft that Vista is backwards-compatible with XP’s graphic engine, DirectX 9, and that it will support existing games.

Meanwhile, games written to take advantage of DirectX 10 have been slow to emerge. And one Nvidia executive predicts that gamers may not routinely see games optimized for DirectX 10 until mid-2008.

It’s not that bad, says Microsoft

Chris Donahue, manager of Microsoft’s Games for Windows group, says the company has tested 1,000 popular games from the past five years. Most work well with Vista, he said, declining to elaborate how many had problems and why.

Vista’s DirectX 10 is reportedly a complete rewrite of Microsoft’s graphic engine that should allow games written for the platform to run much faster and display more textured, lifelike images than under DirectX 9.

DirectX 10 is so advanced that even Vista’s advanced desktop interface, dubbed "Aero," relies on the previous-generation DirectX 9 technology.

Leading game publishers such as Electronic Arts Inc., PopCap Games Inc., Vivendi Games, THQ Inc., Slam Games and WildTangent Inc. are busily creating games taking advantage of DirectX 10, according to Microsoft. Microsoft, through its MSN Games group, is also releasing a number of less graphically intensive "casual" games for Vista.

But so far, Microsoft has only shown off -- and only via screenshots and video clips -- a handful of games that truly take advantage of DirectX 10. And many of those improvements appear to be subtle ones that only the most avid gamers will notice.

computer world

Hello , You need To download Direct X 10.1 for Windows Vista, you will need to install Service Pack 1 through Windows Update Services u. DirectX 10.1 is an extension to DX 10.0 by Microsoft available in Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Build 6001.16659 and Windows Server 2008 codenamed Longhorn . As per Softpedia, the new features of DirectX 10.1 can be divided into three general categories: new shading and texturing capabilities, anti-aliasing improvements, and tighter specifications, the details of which can be found in AMD-ATI’s whitepaper for DX 10.1.

Advantages include global illumination delivering lighting and shadow quality in real-time that matches the ray tracing techniques used in CG films, improved anti-aliasing techniques to clean up distracting shimmering artifacts, and tighter specifications for improved compatibility.

Utilizing the new features of DirectX 10.1 will require you to have a new GPU hardware such as ATI Radeon HD 3800. But it is obviously backward compatible with any graphic card.

To download Direct X 10.1 for Windows Vista, you will need to install Service Pack 1 through Windows Update Services

Download from here