Thread: Problem Turning Off My Computer

Problem Turning Off My Computer

hello

I have a strange problem regarding functioning of my computer.
    I am unable to log off and the computer is not willing to shutdown. Whenever I try to shut down the machine it jus tsays still and oesnot respond for long time and thus this process continues till when i push turn off button for 10 seconds. And when I turn it on, the computer says it was shut down in a wrong manner.

I don't know how to deal with this problem

Please help me regarding this problem

Re: Problem Turning Off My Computer

I'm not sure that you provided enough information about your problem, but I'll take a stab at helping.

First off, when you log off of your computer (I mean that you choose logoff, not shut down), your computer doesn't actually shut down - it just closed down that user, and allows someone else to login. If you want to turn the computer off, be sure that you are choosing the shutdown option, not "log off".

do you get the message "it is now safe to shut down your computer"? That message is normally seen on older computers.

you can go for this one:

1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. In Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, and then click Power Options.
    3. Click the APM tab.
    4. Check to select the Enable Advanced Power Management Support check box, and then click OK.

If you use a computer that does not load a HAL that is Advanced Configuration Power Interface-compliant (ACPI-compliant), you receive this message when the shutdown procedure is complete. When you use an ACPI-compliant basic input/output system (BIOS) with the ACPI HAL, the operating system can turn off the power supply. Because the standard computer HAL is loaded on computers that only support APM, the computer does not turn off when you try to shut down.

For more information about troubleshooting shutdown problems, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    308029 Advanced troubleshooting for shutdown problems in Windows XP

Dr. V Guest

If you perform the following procedure, your computer will be able to shut down correctly. However, this procedure may also reduce the battery life on a portable computer.

To disable power management on the USB hub: Right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
    Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand it, right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
    Click the Power Management tab.
    Click to clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box, and then click OK.

In Windows XP, the USB core stack supports the Selective Suspend functionality. A driver can use this functionality to turn off the USB device that it controls when the device becomes idle, even when the computer remains in a fully operational power state (S0). For example, a driver can make the following devices idle: the host controller, empty the USB hubs (including the root hub), and the full range of USB devices that are supported by the operating system. The selective suspend functionality is primarily intended to conserve battery power in portable computers. USB controllers frequently use lots of battery power, even when no devices are attached to the computer.

An example of this issue may occur with the Aspire Mouse and the Mobile Mouse. Both devices have the same vendor and product IDs, but only the Aspire Mouse can support the selective suspend functionality. When the Mobile Mouse is installed, it is reported as the Aspire Mouse, and the selective suspend functionality is then enabled. Because the Mobile Mouse does not support this functionality, it causes the computer to stop responding when the computer shuts down.