Thread: This copy of Windows is not activated

This copy of Windows is not activated

I bought my PC about 3 years ago with Windows XP installed. But suddenly I started getting a message that says "This copy of windows is not activated". It says I have 30 days to activate it.

My copy of Windows XP Home is legit as well as the CD Key, I reconfirmed it from the shop where I purchased it. Can someone please help me with some advice?

Re: This copy of Windows is not activated

Have you changed any hardware recently? Have you done a fresh install lately? If you have exceeded the number of allowed installs, this may also trigger that message.

Just validate Windows again, and may be call Microsoft for any guidance.

Basically Windows is checking itself and making sure you are using a legit copy. If you don't have the original license key, ring the number it shows and speak to them, they will help you all over the phone.

After the 30 days, Windows will go into a locked down mode which will force you to activate but not let you do much else...

Try repairing the registry entries for the .DLL files used by activation:

Use Start -> Run and enter the following text in the dialog box:
    regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll

Then do it again with the following text:
    regsvr32.exe licdll.dll

Cause

1: Changes to hardware or to hardware device drivers are detected
    Part of the Windows Genuine process requires that you reactivate your computer when certain hardware is changed or when certain hardware device drivers are changed. Windows Vista Service Pack 1 may update some installed device drivers. Therefore, you may be prompted to activate Windows Vista again.

2: The copy of Windows Vista that is installed on your computer was not activated
    Before you installed the service pack, an activation exploit may have been installed on your computer. This activation exploit may have been created to circumvent the Windows Vista activation process. This kind of exploit can cause extreme alterations to important system components in Windows Vista and can affect system stability. Windows Vista SP1 addresses exploits that are created to circumvent the activation process. Windows Vista SP1 also includes updates that targets and disables these exploits.

Resolution

1: Activate your copy of Windows Vista again.

2: After you install the service pack on a Vista-based computer that is running this kind of exploit, the Vista activation process is reactivated. You may be prompted to activate Vista and to provide a current and valid Windows Vista license key.

Quote Originally Posted by void View Post
    I bought my PC about 3 years ago with Windows XP installed. But suddenly I started getting a message that says "This copy of windows is not activated". It says I have 30 days to activate it.

My copy of Windows XP Home is legit as well as the CD Key, I reconfirmed it from the shop where I purchased it. Can someone please help me with some advice?
    this thing also happened to me, i have a new unit only cpu given by a friend. it is kinda old but at start connected it to a monitor. it is an W XP, we used to open it and use it, but suddenly when i logged in again to my account it appears to have a dialog box saying i need to activate the copy of windows and when i say yes, it happens to instruct. we dont have telephone and internet, is there any way to activate windows copy, please respond.

unsure Re: This copy of Windows is not activated

Quote Originally Posted by mv View Post
    Basically Windows is checking itself and making sure you are using a legit copy. If you don't have the original license key, ring the number it shows and speak to them, they will help you all over the phone.

After the 30 days, Windows will go into a locked down mode which will force you to activate but not let you do much else...
    is there any way to activate windows? we cant use our computer. we dont have phone and internet...sos.