Thread: Windows 7 deactivated my Vista

Windows 7 deactivated my Vista

hi,
    I bought a new laptop with Windows 7 preinstalled but I don't want windows 7 at all. There is no data on the laptop as it is brand new.I need to deactivate my windows 7 so windows vista can be activated on a new computer.Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help

Re: Windows 7 deactivated my Vista

The first install of the 32bit beta was a custom while booted in Vista to the second drive's second partition with XP on the first there. No problem was seen with any need to reactivate either of the two previous versions. The second install with the Vista host unplugged through that saw a working XP/7 dual boot still going strong without any XP problems.Presently I have Vista added into 7's BCD and 7/XP both in Vista's so either drive set as the boot drive will load all three. Custom tweaking of the boot loaders with the EasyBCD tool saw that work out.

hi,
    Is your copy of Vista a retail or OEM version? Retail versions can be moved to a different computer, OEM versions, per the license, cannot. Assuming it's a retail version, then just uninstall it from the original computer and reinstall on the new one.

That depends on the type of license you have for Vista. If you have a full end user license you just need to remove or make inoperable Vista on the original host, and you can then install it and activate it on a different PC.ONLY the RETAIL allows you to install to another machine. If Vista came with your computer new, then it is most certainly an OEM license, and therefore you will not pass activation.