Thread: Linux 2.6.29 kernel Released

Linux 2.6.29 kernel Released

hi there

I heard that the Linux kernel 2.6.29 has been released. I am using too much old version for my linux operating system. Can anyone provide me some information regarding the latest kernel patch as well as some information regarding linux kernel/

Please help me regarding this information

your views will be appreciated

Re: Linux 2.6.29 kernel Released

The Linux kernel or Linux is an operating system kernel used by a family of Unix-like operating systems. The term Linux distribution is used to refer to the various operating systems built on top of the Linux Kernel.

The Linux kernel is released under the GNU General Public License version 2 (GPLv2) and developed by contributors worldwide; Linux is one of the most prominent examples of Free / Open Source software.

The Linux kernel was initially conceived and created by Finnish software engineer Linus Torvalds in 1991. Early on, the MINIX community contributed code and ideas to the Linux kernel. At the time, the GNU Project had created many of the components required for a free software operating system, but its own kernel, GNU Hurd, was incomplete and unavailable. The BSD operating system had not yet freed itself from legal encumbrances. This meant that despite the limited functionality of the early versions, Linux rapidly accumulated developers and users who adopted code from those projects for use with the new operating system. Today the Linux kernel has received contributions from thousands of programmers.

Initially, Torvalds released Linux under a license which forbade any commercial exploitation. This was soon changed to the GNU General Public License (GPL), as of version 0.12. This license allows distribution and sale of possibly modified and unmodified versions of Linux but requires that all those copies be released under the same license and be accompanied by the complete corresponding source code.

Currently, Linux is licensed only under version 2 of the GPL, with (unlike much GPL software) no option to use a later version, and there is some controversy over how easily it could be changed to use later GPL versions such as the new version 3 (and whether this is desirable). Torvalds himself specifically indicated upon the release of version 2.4.0 that his own code is only under version 2. However, the terms of the GPL state that if no version is specified, then any version may be used, and Alan Cox pointed out that very few other Linux contributors have specified a particular version of the GPL. One blogger concluded that around 40% of Linux code is specifically "GPL2 or above", and another approximately 10% is "GPL" (with no version specified), making for about half of the kernel, put together.[citation needed] In September of 2006, a survey of 29 key kernel programmers indicated 28 preferred GPLv2 to the then-current GPLv3 draft.[citation needed] Torvalds commented, "I think a number of outsiders...believed that I personally was just the odd man out, because I've been so publicly not a huge fan of the GPLv3."

I have downloaded the latest patch of Linux kernel 2.6.29 newly relased version and it contains file such as:

Linux Kernel 2.6.29 Released Patch Files:

• 2.6.29-rc5 (5 files, 20 dirs)
    • .mailmap (+3 lines)
    • CREDITS (+14 lines)
    • MAINTAINERS (+106 lines)
    • Makefile (-91 lines)
    • README (+8 lines)
    • Documentation (27 files, 41 dirs)
    • arch (1 file, 22 dirs)
    • block (22 files)
    • crypto (35 files, 1 dir)
    • drivers (2 files, 73 dirs)
    • firmware (7 files, 6 dirs)
    • fs (66 files, 62 dirs)
    • include (20 dirs)
    • init (6 files)
    • ipc (6 files)
    • kernel (85 files, 4 dirs)
    • lib (24 files)
    • mm (43 files)
    • net (3 files, 43 dirs)
    • samples (4 dirs)
    • scripts (21 files, 6 dirs)
    • security (7 files, 3 dirs)
    • sound (2 files, 13 dirs)
    • usr (1 file)
    • virt (1 dir)

Prepatches are the equivalent to alpha releases for Linux; they live in the testing directories in the archives. They should be applied using the patch(1) utility to the source code of the previous full release with a 3-part version number (for example, the 2.6.12-rc4 prepatch should be applied to the 2.6.11 kernel sources, not, for example, 2.6.11.10.)

The testing/incr directories contain automatically generated patches from one prepatch to another.

Prepatches may be poorly tested, and may in fact not work at all. Use on your own risk; if you use one and run into a problem please see Reporting Linux Kernel Bugs on the front page.

Prepatches with -rc in the name are considered release candidates and may become full versions. It is therefore particularly important that those get tested.

You can download the latest version oof kernel patch from below:

DOWNLOAD

Download the entire patch of the latest version of Linux Kernel 2.6.29:

DOWNLOAD