Thread: Kill Disc Killing My Operating System

Kill Disc Killing My Operating System

hello guys

I am having serious problem with my operating system.
    I made a mistake running killdisc on my Windows XP operating system machine and also tried to run the Windows 7 operating system disc. It also won't recognize the disc either when booting with the disc in the drive. I went into the BIOS and also adjusted the boot order of my operating system and even disabled the floppy drive option.
    Don't know where i am doing wrong any suggestions?

Please provide some views on this

Re: Kill Disc Killing My Operating System

The file is a disc image, you have to use a program like Nero, that will burn the image to a disc to make it a working bootable disc.

What happens if you take the Vista install disc out and just let the system try to boot without it? Obviously it can't actually boot with no disc and two empty hard drives, but it should attempt to and then say "Disk boot error, insert boot disk and press enter" or something to that effect.

Well, just to rule out any of your boot devices causing any problems, unplug them all (hard drives and DVD) and let it try to boot. Again, you should get the "Disk boot error" thing I mentioned earlier. If it still does the same thing, try each stick of RAM individually if you haven't already. I noticed that a BIOS update for that board was released recently, so you might try that as well. Of course, you might have trouble updating the BIOS if you can't boot off anything as a BIOS update usually requires a bootable CD or floppy, unless the board's BIOS has an embedded flash utility. I'm not sure if your board does or not as I'm not too familiar with Sapphire's boards.

Try using an old or different graphics card, it sounds like an error with that.

It could be that your BIOs isn't compatible with some of the hardware (even though it POSTs, rather safe than sorry, double check.)

Flash the BIOs using an onboard utitlity. If you can't boot at all, then you won't be able to boot from floppy or usb.

to eliminate the chance of a failed piece of hardware you should remove all parts except 1 stick of ram, 1 hdd, 1 video card and see if it will post and pass memtest. If so add ram and do another memtest untill all ram works, add the other video card, install the os, add 2nd hdd later.

Error code: 138 usually means either the CD is bad,
    scratched, or the drive isn't working properly.