Thread: Windows 7 activation error

Windows 7 activation error

hi, presently i am using Windows Vista, but recently i have downloaded Windows 7 to install on one of my computer. When i am trying to activate my windows after installation, it gives me an error code '0xC004F061'. Well, i tried to find out solution for the same here but i got this Windows Vista Home Premium Activation error 0xC004F061 . So i wanted to know does the steps mentioned in this post (that is for Vista) will work for Windows 7 as well ? Please help me soon regarding this Windows 7 activation error...

Re: Windows 7 activation error

If you receive error "0xC004F061" when trying to activate Windows 7, it means you're using a product key for an upgrade version of Windows 7 and a previous version of Windows wasn't on your computer when Windows 7 was installed. To install an upgrade version of Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP must be installed on your computer.

If you formatted the drive before starting the installation process, you won't be able to use the upgrade product key to activate Windows 7. To activate Windows 7, you'll need to install your previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 7. For help with the activation process, go to the Microsoft Support website.

I think this error occurs when Windows 7 setup component determines that the Windows Anytime Upgrade (WAU) product key is not valid. i'll suggest you to use a Full Package Product (FPP) product key for a clean installation of Windows Vista or of Windows 7. If you're unable to enter a product key without getting an error message, you can leave the box empty and click Next. This will allow you to finish setup, but your copy of Windows 7 won't be activated. You must activate Windows within 30 days of installation.

You can activate either online or by phone. To activate online, you'll need an Internet connection. Activating by phone requires interacting with an automated phone system. You can find your product key on the computer or inside the Windows package or in a confirmation e‑mail if you purchased and downloaded Windows 7 online.

Open Windows Activation by clicking the Start button , clicking Computer, clicking Properties, and then clicking Click here to activate Windows now.* If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

According to Microsoft, it is recommended that you install Windows 7 with your current version of Windows running. If you want to format the hard drive, and you are using an upgrade version of Windows 7, you'll need to start your computer using the Windows 7 upgrade DVD, click Custom (advanced), and then click Drive options (advanced).

Incase, you are trying to upgrade your Windows, than to install an upgrade version of Windows 7, Windows Vista or Windows XP must be installed on your computer. If you formatted the drive before starting the installation process, you won't be able to use the upgrade product key to activate Windows 7. To activate Windows 7, you'll need to install your previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 7.