Thread: Winsock library Error 10107

Winsock library Error 10107

hello,.MY problem is this on my pc at home: I can not access the internet, or my antivirus, or any other program and got this error message:
    SUN MICROSYSTEM-SYSTEM ABSTRACTION LAYER Failed to initialize WINSOCK LIBRARY! The application may not run stable.and when I check avast, the icon no longer appears in the taksbar .when I open, I get the message below: ASH AVAST Error basinitlibrary-initialization of basic library failed! check out INI file or install program again, please. Error 10107 And when I try to open other programs, or check my firewall wondows I get the message: "The associated service is not running." ,My pc is running is Under Windows Xp , Please help As I live abroad and msn is my only connection with my family, Thank you for helping me

Re: Winsock library Error 10107

Hello, First update and scan your computer with your security products such as antivirus and antispyware applications. If your computer comes up clean after running your resident security products, you may want to consider running a System File Checker (SFC). This can be run in Safe Mode should you prefer. To get into Safe Mode either hold down or tap the F8 key repeatedly while the computer is starting up. To run SFC, close all applications such as Office, Messenger, Email, etc, and go to:

• Start
    • Run
    • Type in sfc /scannow (include the space before the " / ")

What SFC does is that it attempts to fix or replace critical operating system files. Sometimes this can be done without the installation disk, however it may prompt you for the appropriate operating system installation disk. If that is the case, then you know that you definitely have major file corruption or something missing. Insert the disk if prompted. Also you should run SFC using the Administrator account.

Hi
    I'm not sure if that helps but check if you have multiple winsock.dll files on the machine. Maybe in the system path you have some old winsock.dll.this could be the main issue.

TCP/IP stack Winsock settings in Windows Vista may get corrupted, causing errors and problems with Internet connectivity. Corrupt Winsock or Windows sockets configuration can be due to a lot of reasons such as installation of a networking software, or due to virus, trojan or malware infection, or sometime even due to disinfection of spyware by security software.

When Winsock corrupts, the networking errors that you may face include unable to surf the Internet with “Page cannot be displayed” error message in Internet Explorer or AOL even though the DSL/ADSL/cable Internet connection is connected. Sometimes, Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service is terminated as well.

To repair and reset the Windows Vista
    • Click on Start button.
    • Type Cmd in the Start Search text box.
    • Press Ctrl-Shift-Enter keyboard shortcut to run Command Prompt as Administrator. Allow elevation request.
    • Type netsh winsock reset in the Command Prompt shell, and then press the Enter key.
    • Restart the computer.

What netsh winsock reset command does are it resets Winsock Catalog to a clean state or default configuration. It removes all Winsock LSP (Layered Service Providers) previously installed, including the potential malfunctioned LSP that causes loss of network packets transmission failure. So all previously-installed LSPs must be reinstalled. This command does not affect Winsock Name Space Provider entries.

Note: To check which LSPs installed on your Vista system, use netsh winsock show catalog command.

Use the Netdiag tool
    To use the Netdiag tool, you must install the Microsoft Windows XP Support Tools. To do so, follow these steps.

Notes
    If you already have Support Tools installed, go to the second procedure in this section.

1. Insert your Windows XP Setup CD, and then locate the Support\Tools folder.
    2. Double-click the Setup.exe file.
    3. Follow the steps on the screen until you reach the Select An Installation Type screen.
    4. On the Select An Installation Type screen, click Complete, and then click Next.

If you already have Support Tools installed, go to the second procedure in this section.

When the installation is complete, follow these steps:

• Click Start, click Run, type Command, and then click OK.
    • Type netdiag /test:winsock, and then press ENTER.

The Netdiag tool will return the test results for several network components, including the Winsock. For more details about the test, use /v at the end of the netdiag command: netdiag /test:winsock /v