Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

I have a desktop computer with Windows Vista Home Premium installed. My problem is that I am unable to install and/or uninstall software or programs. My computer is not too old (just passed 6 months). Each time I install/uninstall any programs, I get error message

Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

Any ideas what is this and/or experienced such things and know how do solve this. I am not sure when the problem truly began. I have tried System Restore but still the same issue.

Re: Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

%appdata% is not a network location. It is a systemwide variable

%appdata% it is a directory on your computer

For Vista it is C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\
    for XP it is C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\

I think the application is having problems locating it.

I see the problem. You are trying to install software that doesn't install on Vista.

I applaud your efforts to make it work by any means possible but if you truly must make it work, install the free Microsoft Virtual PC, then XP in that and you'll get there.

how do i change it? to "REG_EXPAND_SZ"...can i just delet it?

I get this message every now and again, mostly for patches, i checked and everythings fine. and it is for xp but it says its vista compatible.

Is there any patch which is specially made for Vista? You should try and download that as it may be working, XP patches work with vista but they are not 100% compatible...

If everything else fails....try this....the program might be looking for the Environment variable called "Appdata" . Create it. It worked for me.

Make sure you are creating it for the user under which the program is running. Hope this helps.

And how and where did you create that file Bhowmisu?

The response to "Echo %appadata%" should be

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming

A space in the user name shouldn't be a problem, but creating a new user may fix the problem because it will create the account with default registry settings which will hopefully have the missing %appdata% information.

If you want to check on this before creating the new user, just for curiosity's sake, check the following Registry key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders and check the value for AppData in the right hand pane. If it's missing, then that would explain the problem. It should be as listed above, substituting the UserName with the folder name for the user under Users.

Also check the key
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

The value of this key should be
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

More keys to check:
    HKCU\Volatile Environement (1)
    HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders (2)
    HKU\Sxxxxx\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders (2)
    HKU\Sxxxxx\Volatile Environement (1)

The values in (1) should have the full path spelled out, the values in (2) should use the %USERPROFILE% variable in the path. If the value under HKU\.DEFAULT is missing or bad, then creating a new user probably won't work either. If that value is missing, then I would recommend a clean reinstall of Windows because there is no telling what else is messed up also.

Error 1606: Could Not Access Network Location
    This issue may occur if there is an incorrect setting in one of the following registry subkeys:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

To resolve this issue, follow the steps provided in Microsoft article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

Exclamation error 1606. could not access network location %APPDATA%\.

hi,

I'm having issues starting up the software program Corel Painter. When I attempt to start it up, it initially behaves af if it will then unexpectedly quits. I then decided to uninstall/reinstall the program, however, when I tried to I received the error message "error 1606. could not access network location %APPDATA%\." and was unable. My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium.
    I recently installed a vista driver for my Wacom Graphire4 graphics tablet from the manufacturer website. Might this be causing the issue?

Re: error 1606. could not access network location %APPDATA%\.

This issue may occur if there is an incorrect setting in one of the following registry subkeys:

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Check this thread for more information about these topic Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

hope it will Help You , Good Luck

Thread moved to Operating Systems.
    LOOK FOR VARIOUS WINDOWS SOFTWARE'S AND NETWORKING & SECURITY SOLUTIONS OVER HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Effren View Post

Check this thread for more information about these topic Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

hope it will Help You , Good Luck
    Thanks for the information! I followed the link that was provided in the previous thread. I created a restore point, followed the instructions, and opened my registry comparing it to the model registry provided. I discovered two marked difference in my registry:

Name: (Default) Type: Reg_SZ Data: (value not set)

This registry key wasn't on the table at all.

The next one was different from the one provided:

Name:AppData Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ Data: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming (This is the model key)

Name: AppData Type: Reg_Expand_SZ Data: %AppData% (This is my key)

Is this causing the problem? How might I fix the problem?

This behavior can occur if there is an incorrect setting in the following registry entry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Common Administrative Tools

I found the same problem when a Vista laptop was trying to intall iTunes.

I found the solution to fix it was to install the KB936824 update from Microsoft aswell as the KB article in Steve123 note.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-b6aa22525dec

Snowy.
    Last edited by Snowy77; 27-05-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: To fully fix the problem I was experiencing, both fixes needed to be applied.

I got the same error & on some investigation on many forums I found the solution.
    It worked for me.
    The culprit is the "Type" of "Common Programs" and "Common Startup" at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders.
    They were supposed to be "REG_EXPAND_SZ" and not REG_SZ
    I hope this helps you too.

sad Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

I have Windows Vista Basic..i have deleted app data folder under my user and now i cant download counter strike. im stupid i know but i need help is there some way i can replace the app data folder? because every time i try to download counter strike source it says "Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\" i have looked at the other threads and i tried to change the directories but it wont let me!! help me please im about to smash this damn computer!!

See this thread for more help Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\
    http://forums.techarena.in/operating...ms/1154220.htm

See this Microsoft article to solve it .

To resolve this behavior, follow these steps.
    • Click Start, and then click Run.
    • In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    • Locate and then click the following registry key:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    • In the right pane of Registry Editor, double-click Common Administrative Tools.
    • In the Value data box , type the following line, and then click OK:
    • %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
    • On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
    • Restart the computer.

Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast