Thread: Error 1209 Cannot Add Printer

Error 1209 Cannot Add Printer

Hello, I Recently Bought a new Dell Inspirion desktop with Vista When I click on Add Printer, I get the following message: "Windows can't open Add Printer. The local print spooler service is not running. Please restart the spooler or restart the machine."

Then I go to RUN>services.msc > Print spooler. Clicking on this brings up Print Spooler Properties (local computer). Start up type is automatic. Service status says "stopped." When I click on start, I get the following message:

"Error 1209 A priviledge that the service requires to function properly does not exist in the service account configuration."
    Please Help me Solve This Problem, Thanks In Advance

Re: Error 1209 Cannot Add Printer

Hi You Can Try using the Services Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in (services.msc) and the Local Security Settings MMC snap-in (secpol.msc) to view the service configuration and the account configuration from there try to do something like going to the BFE Properties and possible change the settings in the Logon tab, I think that might help. It might Help You

On your vista pc open a command prompt and run gpupdate /force

This will update your group policy locally, re-boot and see if the services have started, if not as mine didn't, from run type secpol.msc and see if the user rights under local policies are in there, you can also see the icons are different shades for policies that have come over from the group policy which helps you to see which ones might have changed or may need changing.

Now open services run-> services.msc and open windows firewall service and put in "Local Service" no password and close and try starting it.If it still fails you need to check through the policies again and see if Local Service is in the ones that came over from the Group Policies. Mine finally started after I had re-booted with the firewall service set to manual and then I entered "Local Service" and started it successfully, I have no idea why it didn't start on Automatic, but now it does it fine.

How to open your Domain Group Policy.
    • On your Domain Controller, start->Run-> type mmc and hit enter
    • Console Add/Remove Snapin
    • Click Add
    • Find group policy and select
    • Browse for your domain policy and choose it (If its not there then you don't have one)
    • OK & Finish
    • Expand -> Computer Configuration->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies->User Rights Assignment.
    • Make the adjustments to the rights as above.

To resolve the problem, fix the dependency information for the Spooler service.

1. Click Start, Run and type the following:

CMD /K SC CONFIG SPOOLER DEPEND= RPCSS

2. Alternately, to accomplish this using Registry Editor:

3. Click Start, Run and type Regedit.exe

4. Navigate to the following branch

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Services \ Spooler
    5. In the right-pane, double-click the DependOnService value

6. Delete the existing data, and then type RPCSS

7. Close Regedit.exe