Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logon Process has failed to create the security options dialog

Hi,

i'm having vista home premium, pentium dual-core, 2GB RAM.
    Software norton Anti-virus.

I am getting error "Logon Process has failed to create the security options dialog"
    I first turn the computer on. It boots up VERY slowly, and when I try to open internet explorer, or any other programs that I have on my computer they either won't open, or after a couple of minutes they lock up.

No CTRL-ALT-DEL worked, couldn't shutdown, programs would not close. All I got was a repeated black screen with the message "Logon Process has failed to create the security options dialog.".

can anyone help me ??

Re: Security options logon process has failed

Firewall must be blocking a script that is running in your temp directory. "C:\Users\localadmin\AppData\Local\Temp"
    use windows cleanup tool to delete temp files, so delete everything in the temp directory except, temporary internet files and the history folder.

Thank you,

my problem has been solved. I turned off Firewall. I cleaned my registry and then manually removed Norton.

Re: failure - security options logon process has failed to create dial

Hi, I have quite a simillar problem, although not so serious yet...
    usually after letting the computer somehow idle for ten or fifteen minutes (not precisely verified) it freezes - sometimes even gradually, like that I can still switch windows and click here and there, but eventually everything is blocked, including task manager and clock. And then black screen and the famous message - Failure - security options -> no other option than cold reboot.

The computer seems to last for a long time as long as I am working, but on the other hand, it freezed even if I did nothing else after the reboot than let play some music in Media Player.

In the log there is nothing else than a warning that the system was not shut down correctly. It started quite suddenly, but restore to a previous point didn't change anything.

It's an ASUS F3Sv laptop, one and half years (actually Vista's been there for a year), HDD is Hitachi I think.

It seems that many people have/had this kind of troubles, however there was a hell lot of probable causes and solutions. Thx anyone for any help...
    Last edited by bubutymmy; 14-04-2009 at 05:27 AM.

Re: Logon Process has failed to create the security options dialog

Hi,

I was having this same problem (If my laptop got past the the logon screen, and then to the desktop, it would keep freezing within 30 seconds, and c-a-d would lead to the black screen and then the Logon process failed error message) - this occuring after my laptop working fine for the previous 7 months.

This problem was horrible, and I've signed up specifically to say that I believe the above advice solved the problem for me. I did try check disk and rolling back, (restore point and last start up).
    However after lots of restarting I did make it to the desktop, and immediately went to the temp folder and deleted all of its contents.

I can't say for definite that deleting the contents of the temporary files folder was the solution to this problem for me, but I do urge everyone struggling with the crashing to attempt to do the same.

Good luck, best wishes

Microsoft uses a lot of reusable code lately. The "Failure--Security Option" appears in several processes. The fault is triggered when Vista detects certain unnecessary files (with extensions log and bak) have been deleted. This can happen if you use several file/registry cleaners (the combination Ccleaner, Eusing, and JV16 Powertools creates this problem.) The way to eliminate the problem is to open Start/Run/taskschd.msi and disable all the scheduled tasks except your antivirus update. You can then enable them one at a time to see which process causes the problem (there usually are more than one perpetrator) but very few of Microsoft's scheduled processes are worth running anyway. Check your hard drive for failure because the fault triggers scrambling of the hard drive firmware.

i have this same problem, my laptop starts up very slowly, and then freezes when i try to open programmes on occassion. i ran a disk error check and it found bad clusters but removed them. my laptop is almost a year old now. i have had no problems with it up until around 2 weeks ago. programmes nearly always show the not responding message now, and if i leave it and click nothing they come round and work without closing. if i use ctrl alt del, it will take around 1 minutes to give me a black screen and then will either show the secutiry options error message or will ctl alt del screen will appear within a few minutes.
    i have had many problems with vista so far, i didnt want it to start with but i got a good deal on this laptop....
    if i remove vista and use another operating system instead will it fix the problem??
    since it is under warranty i may be able to take it bak and change it, altho i didnt really want to do this....

I Also had same problems...
    Also wasn't sure about HD issues...
    thought i'd take a closer look inside my pc.

Hard drives were very, very hot. I have 3 close together
    My simple solution was to cool them down and so I added another fan to face them.
    Now I don't get this error.

Okay this is my first post, I just thought that might be anyone out there facing the same problem might finally the solution. I personally faced this damn problem for 2 days and almost reformat the hardisk as my last resort.

Basically, I've tried EVERYTHING, starting from virus scan,mapping services,etc. The main indication is whenever I go into safe mode, the speed seems normal. I read somewhere that disabling window defender and firewall will speed up or restore your vista to normal. Well, i tried and it didnt work.

To cut the process short, I downloaded this free software called "Combo Fix"
    I ran the program on desktop despite the slow ass process, which took me almost 3 hours and it automatically gives me this txt report. I just restart afterwards and the speed returns to normal and I re-installed my antivirus again..believe it or not it works again. So "Combo Fix" find it from good ol'google and hope it works for you.

I also have this problem, this time on an Acer (yeah, well I didn't have good internet access when choosing it).

Just now, I managed to get the cntrl-alt-del to work while I was still successfully internetting. I then minimised it, so I could see it while I browsed. When I froze, a few minutes later, it was at 100% cpu usage. The culprit was chrome.

I don't think it's a chrome problem, because we have another computer that has had similar problems and is running IE (we have a lot of laptops). Just wondering: what kind of internet access do people have?

We're operating a wireless system, BT homehub. Other computers on the same system, all using Vista, but possibly with other differences (the chip?), seem to be ok.

ffs... for all those people who cop-out with the 'just re-format your HD' or 'Get a new HD' solution. That's like fixing a car by nuking it and getting a new one / replacing everything inside it - you're bound to no longer have a problem but you haven't even addressed it!

anyway! my solution! go to safe mode - whatever is interfering with the processes and services does not seem to affect anything there; go to your control panel, go to system - and go open your services panel.

DISABLE anything that you seriously don't need and following from previous advice disable Readyboost (reading from its description, it does interfere with programs and tools as you execute them). I also disabled an array of other such services that are similar to it (anything that says it 'enhances' your experience of windows, or performance etc).

On top of disabling them, there are further options to stop it trying to re-initialise should it 'fail' (like lets say... being disabled).

That and I believe I also managed to get to the startup manager and disabled anything that is totally unnecessary to run.

So far so good now that I've done this- apps and tools can be executed anytime, and task manager no longer shits a brick when I try to start it up (via Ctrl+Alt+Del OR Ctrl+Shift+Esc).

Good luck all.

ffs... for all those people who cop-out with the 'just re-format your HD' or 'Get a new HD' solution. That's like fixing a car by nuking it and getting a new one / replacing everything inside it - you're bound to no longer have a problem but you haven't even addressed it!

anyway! my solution! go to safe mode - whatever is interfering with the processes and services does not seem to affect anything there; go to your control panel, go to system - and go open your services panel.

DISABLE anything that you seriously don't need and following from previous advice disable Readyboost (reading from its description, it does interfere with programs and tools as you execute them). I also disabled an array of other such services that are similar to it (anything that says it 'enhances' your experience of windows, or performance etc).

On top of disabling them, there are further options to stop it trying to re-initialise should it 'fail' (like lets say... being disabled).

That and I believe I also managed to get to the startup manager and disabled anything that is totally unnecessary to run.

So far so good now that I've done this- apps and tools can be executed anytime, and task manager no longer shits a brick when I try to start it up (via Ctrl+Alt+Del OR Ctrl+Shift+Esc).

Good luck all.

Like many, I’ve been plagued by this issue and BELIEVED it to be a firewall issue. HOWEVER, I did something that allowed me this morning to do something that I wouldn't be able to do when this happens and I don’t understand how. First, my laptop has a battery problem; which I need to replace when I get the money. I have my power cord taped to the laptop to keep it from pulling out – several times it came out on its own and I lost everything. Well, my system froze without going to Task Manager and I couldn’t log off. I went to pull out the power cord, but wasn’t able to get it out. What happened, however, was that the computer unfroze and things seem fine. My firewall works and everything else. As proof, I am typing this. Don’t ask me how a battery has anything to do with this issue. I don’t have foggiest idea. I’m curious how many people who use laptops have this issue compared to those with desktops and how many people have a hardware issue?
    Last edited by Cheondee; 03-11-2009 at 04:23 PM.

I am having the same problem out of two computers. I bought one in late July when my old system running windows 2000 finally bit the dust.
    The second system I built; two different brands of hard drives (WD and seagate), same motherboard (Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H); Running Vista Pro 64 on both systems. Both give identical error messages. Sometimes I can get the systems to reboot (eventually) by using Ctrl + Alt + Del, (then getting the error message; after which I can access the start menu); but most of the time I have to hit the reset button. This occurs even though I have done nothing but turn the system on.
    Makes you wonder what issues we are looking forward to with windows 7, especially after no real help from microsoft to solve all of the vista problems.
    I first tried vista when it first came on the market; I fought with problems and incompatibility for about six months before I went back to windows 2000 pro. I had hoped that by now more of the issues would have been resolved, but apparently not. Unfortunately, I have nothing to fall back to now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast