Thread: Upgrading from Windows Vista Home Basic to Windows Vista Ultimate

Upgrading from Windows Vista Home Basic to Windows Vista Ultimate

I am currently using Windows Vista Home Basic which is an OEM version from
    HP. I am planning to change to Windows Vista Ultimate and also I did not purchase the 'upgrade' version, but the full version. So I think this cannot be changed.

So I would like to know how I can change the Operating System to Ultimate. Can I easily upgrade with the Ultimate disc or will I have to do a clean install? Is there any tips? Thanks in advance.

Re: Upgrading from Windows Vista Home Basic to Windows Vista Ultimate

For reference see this Microsoft documentation. Normally you would be asked if you wanted to perform an upgrade, which preserves your personal files, settings and programs or a custom installation, which doesn't. However, you wouldn't be given a choice if you bought the full retail version of Vista Ultimate and ran the 64-bit disc, since you cannot perform an upgrade from a 32-bit version of Vista to a 64-bit version. Since the Windows.old folder is only generated during a custom installation, you either chose it while running the 32-bit disc or ran the 64-bit disc.

How you fix it depends on whether you intend to run 32-bit or 64-bit Vista Ultimate (for the record, I run Vista Business 64-bit on my T61). If the answer is 64-bit, you copy over your personal files from the Windows.old folder (unless you have the files backed up somewhere else), install your programs along with the appropriate Lenovo downloads and drivers, and you're done. The only caveat is that if the F11 key is still working, you want to be sure and not do a factory recovery of Vista Home Basic over your Vista Ultimate installation.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

firstly is your home basic a 64 bit version or 32-bit version. Depending on that condition you can upgrade.. just burn that .iso file on a dvd insert it in your dvd rom and then go for upgrade rather than clean/fresh installation.
    the aero technology wont be that effective unless you have a dedicated GPU. so if you are having an onboard graphics then forget it, get a GPU first..