Thread: Windows can not load device driver for this hardware code 39

Windows can not load device driver for this hardware code 39

Hi,

I got this error message for my WAN miniport SSTP on my Vista

Windowscannot load the device driver for this hardware. The device driver may be corrupted or missing. (code 39)

I dont5 have any idea about this & what this error is is this error really harmful to my system?

Re: Windows can not load device driver for this hardware code 39

WAN stands for Wide Area Network. A Miniport driver is a hardware-specific driver that manages the NIC (Network Interface Card), it sends and receives data through the NIC. Moreover, the driver also inter-communicates with higher layer/level transport protocols and drivers.

There are a few WAN Miniport drivers: WAN Miniport (IP), WAN Miniport (L2TP), WAN Miniport (PPPOE), WAN Miniport (PPTP), and optionally others such as the WAN Miniport (Network Monitor) and the WAN Miniport (SSTP).

Depending your connection requirements and other needs, some of these miniports are necessary, others are optional, or not needed at all. For example, if you are having a broadband ADSL Internet connection via PPPOE then the said Miniport driver is required. The IP and L2TP are also required along with PPTP.

However, Microsoft did not plan thoroughly their deployment of this driver for Windows Vista SP1. Meaning that when the Service Pack 1 is uninstalled, the WAN Miniport (SSTP) driver is not removed, thus a big yellow exclamation mark appears right to this driver in the Device Manager. Windows cannot find its driver anymore, since SP1 removed it, but the device isn't removed from the Device Manager list. This may or may not cause problems. Microsoft recommends ignoring the exclamation mark along with possible error code number 39. Now that is a pretty silly work-around, if you ask me.

Please go for this topic!

WAN Miniport (SSTP) Malfunction

Hope this helps!

Hi!

This is how to do it:
    1. Download devcon.exe from some Microsoft site. You can google for it.

2. Open netrasa.inf in c:\windows\inf (c:\winnt\inf on win2k I guess)

3. Look for the section [Msft.NTx86]

4. In the DeviceID column, you can see the installable devices.

5. Run this command to install the WAN Miniport (PPTP):
    devcon.exe install c:\windows\inf\netrasa.inf MS_PptpMiniport

6. You can install the other devices similarly. I think you will need MS_L2tpMiniport, MS_PtiMiniport, MS_NdisWanIp, MS_PppoeMiniport additionally

Best Regards