Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Startup hangs at crcdisk.sys in vista

Startup hangs at crcdisk.sys in vista

Hello there,

I have a Dell laptop with 32 bit Vista Home Premium which was an upgrade from XP. Vista on normal startup hangs with a black screen and after loading crcdisk.sys driver in safe mode. Can anyone fix it? Please help.

Thank you.

Re: Startup hangs at crcdisk.sys in vista

I had same problem earlier. I tried some things on my system. Just give a try. Hopefully it will work for you also.

Goto the following folders and delete the following files:
    • C:\windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys*
    • C:\windows\system32\drivers\1394bus.sys
    • C:\windows\system32\drivers\ohci1394.sys
    • C:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\pcmcia.infblablabla*
    • C:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\1394.infblablabla
    • C:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\sdbus.infblablabla*
    • C:\windows\inf\sdbus.inf*
    • C:\windows\inf\sdbus.PNF*

Search and delete the following files:
    • delete sptd.sys
    • delete sptd.sy
    • delete sptd.sys
    • delete sptd.sys

Hope for the best!

This issue is quickly resolved by pairing your sata devices.
    For e.g. Hard drive 1 on SATA 1 and Hard drive 2 on SATA 2 then Optical drive 1 on SATA 3 and Optical drive 2 on SATA 4.
    It is very important to keep your Hard Drives together and HDD 1 should always be SATA 1.

Restart your computer and choose to edit boot options. You will see a screen which shows default windows boot options: /noexecute=optin. After optin, add /debug command and press esc. (There needs to be a space between optin and /debug.)

Also disable USB keyboard support in the BIOS(Only do this if you are not reliant on a USB Keyboard, otherwise you will lose the use of your USB Keyboard, either use a PS2 keyboard or have a Usb to PS2 converter Handy)

Try this:
    1. Restart your computer and go into the Thinkpad BIOS by pressing “F1”.
    2. Go to Config -> Serial ATA -> Set the option for “Compatibility”. Then hit “F10” to save and exit.
    3. After Vista restarts windows might install new drivers for you which will require a restart.
    4. Restart your laptop.
    5. Now you are ready to install Vista Service SP1 you can do this by either downloading the install or using windows update both will work.
    6. Install will run for a while then it will prompt you to restart the computer this is the step where it hangs and break. The fix for this is you have to reboot windows with advance options.
      • Hit OK to restart
      • To enter advance options for windows boot you have to hit “F8” when windows restarts. Be prepared to do this as you do not want to miss this step. Once the laptop starts the restart you can start tapping “F8”. Do not hold it down
      • Once in advance options select “Disable driver signature enforcement” and hit enter.
    7. Now the computer should start without hanging you will see a command that says it is loading around ~79000 files let this run. PLEASE NOTE it will reboot a few more times before the upgrade is complete but you do not need to do the advance options for disable driver signature any more. You only need to do it that one time.

Goto a command prompt and run the following commands:
    • cd \windows
    • del *pcmcia*.* /s/p
    • del *1394*.* /s/p

What did I just delete and how do I replace it? I found out I was having this same issue. This wasn't the cause (didn't fix it when I did it). It was a bad card reader. Took case off computer and unplugged reader, computer works now. Of course this was after setting to factory resets, but did have most stuff backed up.

Operating system is the most powerful part of a system.windows vista is a good operating system and also support the drivers of other operating systems also.

I've tried pretty much EVERYTHING under the sun and was about to give up (wipe and reload the OS) until I came across this link. Thanks to Wizardfrost for the humor and logical explanation to the problem. If the link doesn't work, the short answer is to get rid of your antivirus software and replace with something else. Here is his longer answer :-) Thanks and good luck!

My first message was deleted by Dell, presumably for inappropriate language and harassment of their fine company. I will attempt to re-post my response in a more gentlemanly manner.

Ahem...

First of all, Dell felates large masculine genitalia, they should be compensating me generously for their abundance of apocalyptic short-comings. Dell has repeatedly and voraciously abridged the posterior orifices of their customers with abrasive force.

Now, for your solution: There is nothing wrong with your hard disk, there technically isn't anything wrong with Vista either. The system, believe or not, didn't freeze on crcdisk.sys. It froze after that. What's the first thing that executes, even before logon.sys finishes loading? The answer is ANTI-VIRUS.

Whatever you are running for AV spazzed out because you installed something, and it created some sort of corrupted temp file or protected memory space which in turn caused it to spaz out again and halt your system. If you can get to a command or recovery prompt, you can run a chkdsk /f. I guarantee you that chkdsk will freeze up when it gets to the messed up file. You can either write down the file name and delete it, which might buy you enough time in windows to stop the AV service, but if AV froze up during a hardware or driver install, it will probably recreate the error again. Your best bet is to do it the sloppy way, delete the entire AV directory so that it can't run. Reboot your system, reinstall AV, then uninstall it properly and get a new AV. I recommend Avast!, its free, it ten times better than Norton and Mccrapee, and runs on half as much resources.

If it wouldn't be too much trouble, please inform the aforementioned company that you are no longer interested in their inferior products and services, as you will obtain future products from a more responsible party.

Thank you, this concludes my presentation, best of luck with your endeavors.

-Darryl

Hi there! I have a Dell running Vista Home Premium 32 bit and had this same issue thrice over a span of 4 months and here is what finally worked. Now my laptop boots just fine, no issues.

- Went into BIOS
    - Turned flash cache module off (default – on)
    - SATA operation – changed to ATA (it gives a warning msg, just say ok)

@boot: start windows normally. This is when it successfully booted.

Logged in.

Deleted c:\windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys

I replaced my Windows Defender antivirus software with Avast!

See Darryl's post below: "Now, for your solution: There is nothing wrong with your hard disk, there technically isn't anything wrong with Vista either. The system, believe or not, didn't freeze on crcdisk.sys. It froze after that. What's the first thing that executes, even before logon.sys finishes loading? The answer is ANTI-VIRUS."

I immediately uninstalled the antivirus I had - Windows Defender - and installed Avast!

PROBLEM SOLVED! Thank you everyone on the many fora who have helped me get to this point

Then a chkdsk to check for any disk problems, just to make sure everything was ok. Ran a command prompt as admin and typed in chkdsk /f. It said it would check the disk on reboot. Did so and presto! It inspected the file system and found no errors.

Again, thank you ALL, especially Darryl.

Deleted c:\windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys

Why did you delete this. I think I already deleted this because I thought it was causing the problem. I deleted it from the drivers update/install screen. I'm just wondering if I need to reinstall that, why you deleted it?

And what is it used for?

Will just removing Windows Defender do it you think or do I have to go to the Bios option?

I already installed Microsoft Essentials.

The BIOS change helped my laptop finally boot. As I wasn't sure whether this would fix it for good, I wanted to leave no stone unturned...hence the antivirus switch from Windows Defender to Avast.

As far as deleting pcmcia.sys, this is just one of the many files that Devasis (see post above) recommends. I couldn't delete any of the other files that are suggested as I don't have elevated privileges..so I just deleted the one.

"Goto the following folders and delete the following files:
    C:\windows\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys*
    C:\windows\system32\drivers\1394bus.sys
    C:\windows\system32\drivers\ohci1394.sys
    C:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\pcmcia.infblablabla*
    C:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\1394.infblablabla
    C:\windows\system32\driverstore\filerepository\sdbus.infblablabla*
    C:\windows\inf\sdbus.inf*
    C:\windows\inf\sdbus.PNF*
    Search and delete the following files:
    delete sptd.sys
    delete sptd.sy
    delete sptd.sys
    delete sptd.sys"

Hi,

Thank you all for your suggestions. I was suffering a similar problem. I fixed it by booting under Knoppix and renaming the file C:\Windows\System32\drivers\pcmcia.sys, and nothing else. I mention the version number of Knoppix so explicitly as an earlier version (3.0) did not recognize my SATA disk at all.

Hope others manage to solve the problem too.

Goodpie!

I've got the same issue on an HP Pavilion DV6500, Intel Core 2 Duo.

I've updated the BIOS, deleted the files, changed the folder name of MS Security Essentials to make sure it can't load, system still sits there with the green bar spinning.

I've even downloaded MS FixIt offline, gone through every menu I could.

Any other fixes?

Quote Originally Posted by 0ldman View Post
    I've got the same issue on an HP Pavilion DV6500, Intel Core 2 Duo.

I've updated the BIOS, deleted the files, changed the folder name of MS Security Essentials to make sure it can't load, system still sits there with the green bar spinning.

I've even downloaded MS FixIt offline, gone through every menu I could.
    Have you just considered a clean install? HP's don't normally have a F10 or F8 some option for factory reset at boot up? I know with ACER, Toshiba, etc all have this feature, unless it was deleted by user. It could be a problem with the hard drive as well, so if you can take it out from the laptop, connect it to some other computer and do a full virus scan.

I am a tech, working on this for someone. HP's official fix is the BIOS update.

I've been through it with DrWeb, Combofix, Malwareblaster, Spybot, Superantispyware, MS Security Essentials, chkdsk /f /r, Spinrite.

SFC shows an error at 85%, which I am leaning towards being the root of the problem in this situation. I need to check the logs, but it was after five. It'll stay until Monday, or tomorrow morning if I'm that curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast