Thread: Error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated on Windows Vista

Error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated on Windows Vista

Every time I try to connect to the internet on Windows Vista using a broadband, it comes up with error 734 and tells me 'The PPP link control protocol was terminated' How do I fix this? Thanks

Re: Error 734: The PPP link control protocol was terminated on Windows Vista

To resolve this issue: 1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Network and Dial-up Connections.

NOTE: For Windows Server 2003, click Start, point to Control Panel, and then point to Network Connections.
    2. Right-click the appropriate dial-up networking connection, and then click Properties.
    3. Click the Networking tab, and then click Settings.
    4. Click to clear the Negotiate multi-link for single link connections check box (if it is selected).
    5. Click OK, and then click OK.
    6. Double-click the connection, and then click Dial.

• If this procedure resolves the issue and you can establish a dial-up connection, you do not have to follow the remaining steps in this article.
    • If this does not resolve the issue and you cannot establish a dial-up connection, go to step 7 to continue to troubleshoot this issue.

7. Right-click the connection, and then click Properties.
    8. Click the Security tab.
    9. Under Security options, click Allow unsecured password in the Validate my identity as follows box, and then click OK.
    10. Double-click the connection, and then click Dial to verify that you can establish a dial-up connection.

This error is generally caused by you using the wrong username or password. The "Include Windows logon domain" check box is selected or the "Require secured password" setting is selected.

FIX 1:
    Confirm Username and Password or renter them before connecting. Check that Caps etc are not on. Most logins are case sensitive.

FIX 2:
    Click "Start", point to "Connect To", and then click your dial-up connection.
    Click "Properties", and then click the "Options" tab.
    Click to clear the "Include Windows logon domain" check box (if it is selected), and then click OK.

FIX 3:
    Click "Start", point to "Connect To", and then click your dial-up connection.
    In the "Connect" dialog box, click "Properties".
    Click the "Security" tab.

Under "Security options", click "Allow unsecured password" in the "Validate my identity as follows" box, and then click "OK".
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

It would really help if you could provide me the following logs. This will help us investigate..

RAS Logs
    Execute the following from elevated command prompt

• netsh ras set tr * en (This enables RAS tracing)
    • <recreate the issue>
    • netsh ras set tr * di (This disables RAS tracing)

This will generate log files in the %windir%\tracing directory. Please zip the files and send them to rrasblog@Microsoft.com. Please mention the error code and error string in the subject line.

thanks