Thread: Problem Booting Windows Vista in my Laptop

Problem Booting Windows Vista in my Laptop

hello

I have a Inspiron 1525 laptop isn't booting, since yesterday. It runs Vista's loading screen but doesn't go ahead. The Hard Disk light goes off after sometime and stays as it is forever.

I also tried loading in Safety Mode, but same problem occured. Then I tried booting from the windows DVD, still the same error. I managed to run so far a Diagnostics tool, and found out that it's a hard drive problem:

Error Code 0142 (Msg: 2000-0142 / Msg: HD1 Status: 79)
    Error Code 0146 (Msg: 2000-0146)

Please help me in this.

your views will be appreciated.

Re: Problem Booting Windows Vista in my Laptop

Sounds like the device is either not coming ready or is not staying ready. You might want to download seagates seatools diagnoctics for your drive and run those and see if it shows any errors...

Get another Laptop hard drive and then get a USB hard disk reader from NewEgg. Install the new hard drive & Windows, and then plug the old one up and copy the data off of it onto the new one. In my experience there is usually a 75-90% chance of getting the data off of the disk if you treat them carefully (or not so carefully, in some cases).

If the hard disk can't be read at first, sometimes tapping on the top of it can get it working. Other times, just sitting it sideways can help you get the data off of it. If you really want your data back, you can find ways to get it working in most cases. Sometimes you just need to do a repair of the hard drive using chkdsk. A lot of people don't have the patience to do all that though. I've seen many hard drives thrown out without their data retrieved simply because "it wouldn't work"

Call Dell with the error codes - they will send a warranty replacement for your faulty hard drive. Request a pre-imaged replacement - it will save you hours of installing and configuring Windows.

Basically what's going on is Media direct accesses a different partition on the HDD, when you boot to windows normally it is on a different partition, It is likely that the partition was already corrupt and when you tried to access it by going to media direct it killed the rest of the HDD. Basically it is a new hdd the 2000-0142 error indicates HDD failure as if that wasn't apparent and if you were still under warranty they would replace it no questions asked.