Thread: Windows Vista Boot.ini Equivalent question

Windows Vista Boot.ini Equivalent question

Does anyone know if Windows Vista have a "boot.ini" file, or some equivalent to boost the boot to the desired OS in a multi-boot situation? I can't find a boot.ini on my new Windows Vista system. Thank you for any reply.

Re: Windows Vista Boot.ini Equivalent question

See suggestions given in similar type of threads: Editing Boot.ini in Vista Ultimate
    http://forums.techarena.in/vista-help/473931.htm

And also the guides on how to master boot.ini file: Mastering Boot.ini

Vista has the "Boot.ini" in the msconfig utility. That is the easiest and safest waty to edit the boot.

Vista includes a command-line tool you can use to edit the BCD; not surprisingly, it's called Bcdedit. The syntax of the Bcdedit command is daunting, to say the least. Its also something you are unlikely to use often enough to memorize. Those facts are enough to strongly recommend using a graphical editor for the BCD store instead. I recommend a third-party tool, VistaBootPRO, which adds a graphical interface to handle every function you can accomplish using Bcdedit and then some.

run bcdedit from the command prompt. give it /? to see the options.

Now and then, I need to edit the boot.ini file in order to fix some configuration issue. Ever since NT 3.1, it's been an ASCII text file on the hard disk. With Vista, that's all changed; it maintains a boot file called the Boot Configuration Data or BCD, located on the boot volume (that is, the volume that the operating system (OS) boots from, no matter what Microsoft calls it) in a folder named BOOT. It's one of those files locked open by the operating system (like the *.EVT event log files), so you can't edit it in the normal manner, and because that means that it'll be tougher for the odd bit of malware to modify it. Don't go looking to edit it from the Control Panel, either; the Startup and Recovery dialog box is still in Control Panel hidden a few layers down, but where the XP version of that dialog had a button labeled "To edit the startup options manually, press Edit," that doesn't exist in Vista anymore. Instead, there's bcdedit.exe, a command-line tool for messing with Vista boot options.

For more info go to this site.