Thread: Windows Vista Installation Expanding files problem

Windows Vista Installation Expanding files problem

If I install Windows Vista it always freezes at Expanding Files. I had the first BETA 2 on my pc installation was no problem with a 3gh p4 and 512mb ram with a nvidia video card, but when I retried the later version it freezes, even now when I upgrade to 2gb of ram. Any suggestions? Thank you

Re: Windows Vista Installation Expanding files problem

According to VMware and MS (last time I checked) only Vista Enterprise (whatever the full version is) is the only version which will run in a virtual machine. The basic (home) version will not install.

I had this problem with RC2 (RC1 worked just fine) and now have experienced the same problem in RTM. I would alternately describe the "Expanding Files" problem as the "Installing Windows" problem. Where I was hung up was after a reboot, with the shifting curtains as a background and "Installing Windows" displayed.

In my case I believe the problem was with my Promise SATA controller. In earlier builds I discovered that the Promise was not supported, and reconfigured my machine accordingly to allow for a boot drive that was not strung off the Promise controller and was able to install.

I just gave up on RC2, but have just brought Vista RTM online by unplugging the 2 drives attached to the Promise. The removal of all drives kept the BIOS for the card from installing.

When setup continued "Expanding Files" was displayed starting somewhere around 25-27% and all was golden from then on.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

I know on an older PC it took very long for this stage to occur, or even show initial progress.

Try testing you RAM, Vista is harder on the system then previous operating systems: http://www.memtest.org/

Or maybe its even your DVD drive.