Thread: Ubuntu Fat32 or NTFS

Ubuntu Fat32 or NTFS

hi,
    i want to install Ubuntu Studio on my second partion of hard disk. i want dual booting of windows xp and ubuntu .I have created two partitions.I am not to sure about NTFS and I was wondering if it would be a better format. If someone could get back to me that would be great.Should I format this partition as NTFS or as FAT32?Any recommendations and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Ubuntu Fat32 or NTFS

hi,
    NTFS is a far better file system than FAT 32 overall in Windows, but fat32 presents less challenges when using it to transfer files between Windows and Linux. With fat32, you should be alright as long as you are not storing important files to it, and only use it as a temporary "loading dock" between the two operating system.

hi,
    windows xp and Ubuntu cannot be installed on both.FAT32 and NTFS are the filesystems for windows.You should install Linux in an Ext2 or Ext3 file system and this is automatically formatted by the install cd.

a very good solution is a dual-boot installation that is Windows and Linux on one or more plates with Grub as bootloader. So I've solved the Windows Vista with Ubuntu and NTFS with ext3 on a plate and the 2nd plate, I have as part ionen mounted in the Linux or Windows. The entries of Grubbootloader you can change eg the default kernel image that should be loaded, etc.

Grub is also something like NEN boat menu. It gives you a list sent to the Linux kernel images, and other system (eg Windows). You can use the Grub menu.lst file in the edit the file distribution is dependent on different directory paths accommodated. list For Ubuntu / boot / grub / menu.lst.In the file you must specify what items default kernel image (ie, what standard should be loaded without user input).