Thread: Media is write protected error cannot write to disk

Media is write protected error cannot write to disk

I've got three
    internal hard drives- in one partition Vista Home Premium 64-Bit, in second partition Ubuntu 8.10 64-Bit, and one being used for storage. Until now everything worked nicely. Now, the storage drive [E:] does not let me write to it. I cannot rename, delete, cut, or write any new files to any part of that drive. That's troublesome, since that's where I send all of my downloads to! Even earlier in this session of windows it was working nicely, I was able to download a torrent of the recent Ubuntu 8.04 release (legal and distributed from ubuntu.com). I started Far Cry 2 (a game), and now that I've quit that, I cannot write to the drive. Specifically, the error is:
    "The disk is write protected. Remove the write protection or use
    another disk."
    I've tried changing the security settings to allow USERS, or even just Administrators, full control of the drive, to no avail. I cannot modify the security settings. When I try, I get:
    "An error occurred while applying security information to E:\abc\pqr The media is write protected."
    I can assure you that I've not enabled any type of write protection. Any ideas? I'd really like to have this working again as otherwise I'm extremely limited on storage space.
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Media is write protected error cannot write to disk

It seems to be some sort of virus is preventing you from writing on the disk, Try to update your anti-virus program and run a Full System Scan. If nothing help, try repairing your Vista. Always keep your Anti-Virus Program up-to-date to keep your computer secure...
    All the best...!

From command prompt run :
    Code:
    diskpart
    then select the drive, and then
    the volume, then run :
    Code:
    Attributes volume clear readonly
    You would be now able to set security permissions...
    Try it out for yourself... All the best! Have Fun
    Pay To Developers, Not To RapidShare...!

http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1135890.htm

Hey man..! That is really awesome. but is this a new command introduced in windows Vista? i've never come accross this command before. Windows OS is always a mystry...! Thanks once again...!

ThumbsUp Re: Media is write protected error cannot write to disk

Why do people that don't know anything always blame everything on a virus?

Anyway, I had the same issue with a disk I moved from a XP PC to the Vista 64 Ultimate machine. I wanted to use it as a backup drive, but could not write to it from the start.

Rudra.J your tip totally worked!!!

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by JohnQPublic; 09-05-2009 at 04:33 PM.

The diskpart.exe solution worked for me also. I had moved my USB external drive (WD mybook 750 gig) from an XP machine to a Vista Ultimate x64 machine and discovered the read-only problem after installing Acronis True Image Home 2010.

Thanks for posting this fix, however temporary it may be.

thanks for the help!
    Last edited by terywong; 09-12-2009 at 08:33 PM.

how can i select the volume if there isn't one showing on the drive properties, i've even populated. 2tb wd on win7 32-bit

My harddrive is divided into two partitions (c and d) c: partition works fine, but i can't save or modify any files on d: partition. every time pops-up error "the media is write protected". is there any solution to get rid of it? my operation system is windows xp. i tried the diskpart command "attributes volume clear readonly", but it doesn't to anything. just list the diskpart commands.

Hello there, I am not quite sure, but the problem can be encountered if there is some threat in that particular drive. Boot scan the system with the help of the Quick Heal antivirus and just let me know if the issue is solved or not.

Media is write protected error cannot write to disk

Yeah , this type of error comeup when any virus attack comes into the file storage of your windows , You can fix it with the following method :

1) Move to the download center of the manufacture
    Just put your model no. or part of model number that you are searching for.

2) Select other description like product type and search for your product
    3)Then choose the product which is most similar to yours from search results
    4)Then download the mFormat utility. You will asked for serial no. if you dont have..enter this no. 1456784523
    5) Get connect with your pen drive
    6) execute the mformat utility and choose full format after full format your write protection will be removed. try twice or thrice if you can't correct at first time.

Quote Originally Posted by SalVatore View Post
    Hello there, I am not quite sure, but the problem can be encountered if there is some threat in that particular drive. Boot scan the system with the help of the Quick Heal antivirus and just let me know if the issue is solved or not.
    I tried Quick Heal antivirus boot scan, it found two viruses, but that didn't resolve the problem. On internet I didn't find any solutsion that worked on my computer and i just had to format the partition and now I can write on it again.

Hi, I've tried this and after I do the diskpart thing, select volume and everything it says:

"DiskPart has encountered an error: The media is write protected.
    See the System Event Log for more information"

What should I do? Please I'm more than desperated
    Last edited by Yin_lee; 21-08-2011 at 09:28 AM.

You will need to run some command from cmd to fix this error. First click on start and then in the run box type cmd. In the dos windows type C:\diskpart.Then type - DISKPART> list disk. Then after that run the command - DISKPART> select disk 1. You will need to manage the disk number of your drive. Disk 1 is the first disk or your disk. Then for clean pass the command type - DISKPART> clean. After that to create primary data run the command - DISKPART> create partition primary. In the end you will need to format the drive - DISKPART> format fs=fat32 quick.

Salvatore thanks for your answer, however I've tried what you said and it keeps telling me the same thing. What should I do??